Pages

Thursday 29 September 2016

SPICY ROAST POTATOES

Good Morning to you,


I had such a funny conversation with George yesterday.  It's not the first, and I feel sure it will not be the last.

I'll set the scene.

After supper, I stretched out on the sofa to read my book. George took up residence in his favourite, big, comfy armchair.  He put his feet up, his earphones on his head..... you'll understand why, when I tell you, that he was playing Yahtzee, on his Ipad. For some reason, and one known only to George, he loves to hear the roll of the dice, when he plays Yahtzee.  Now that is fine for George, but I have to tell you, the sound drives me insane.  So we have come to an agreement, that when he plays Yahtzee, he wears his headphones, that way we are both happy.

Every thing fine so far.

About 15 minutes into the peace and quiet, George started singing to himself.

All I could hear was "Go Daddy, dum de dum".... and these are the only words I heard.  Now to say this wasn't distracting, is an understatement. As I mentioned, George was wearing his earphones, so the "Go Daddy, dum de dum" was very loud indeed. Now, I am not the type of person who can read a book with music playing. I love to listen to music, but not whilst I am reading.  When reading, I like to immerse myself in a book, but to do this, I need peace and quiet.

So after 5 minutes of "Go Daddy, dum de dum" I thought it was time to say something, as I was distracted from reading my book. You see, I had stopped reading my book because I was trying to recognise the song, George was singing. I think maybe I am being generous, when I say  "Go Daddy, dum de dum" was singing.  Anyway, while I was thinking, George looked up and said "What's the matter?"  I said, "What is the song you are singing?" George said, "Oh a Nina Simone song" Whereby I said, "What's the song called?" George said I have no idea, these words just keep running through my mind.

I couldn't concentrate on reading, so I put my book down and thought, I've got to work this out, otherwise I won't settle.

I said "Are you sure it's a Nina Simone song"

"Oh yes" shouted George.... remember he was wearing earphones.

I carried on thinking. I couldn't think of any Nina Simone songs with these words.

.... after a few minutes, I had the thread of a song, and I started my own "dum di dum" sound.

I had an idea, but I couldn't verbalise it. You know that little itch, when you know, you know the answer,  but your brain will not release the answer.

Then in a moment of inspiration, I sang "Take a dive and run to daddy".... I couldn't get the rest of song. All I could sing was "Take a dive and run to daddy".... but it was a start.

George stopped playing Yahtzee.  He looked up and said, "Don't think about it and the rest of the song will come".

A good idea I thought, because that is what usually happens, so I picked up my book, but I couldn't concentrate, the line of the song kept running through my head, without going anywhere. After what seemed like an age,

I sang, "Take a dive and swim to daddy, Take a dive and swim to daddy, Take a dive and swim to daddy, swim, swim, swim, to daddy". The word 'run' was wrong, the correct word was 'swim'.

Have you any idea of the song title yet?

So a little while later, I realised, the song was sang by Sammy Davis Jnr and not Nina Simone.

When I said this to George, he said as quick as a flash, "Ah but they were friends".

I'm not sure what that had to do with anything, but there you are, that was his reply.

So where did the song come from?

I could have looked it up, but I felt so happy that I had remembered the song.... it was a start. I returned to reading my book and decided to look the song up today.

.... but after breakfast, I skyped Natasha and told her the story.  In a matter of moments, she had found the song on the internet, and there it was, no wonder I remembered the song, it was  'The Rhythm of Life' from the film 'Sweet Charity'.  I love watching this film, but hadn't seen it in years. Natasha found a Utube clip and there was Sammy, singing 'The Rhythm of Life' with the dancers, dancing, in that wonderful 1960's way. Did we really dance like that?

Well I have to tell you, I for one definitely did. When Natasha was home last, I showed her how I danced, when I was a teenager. We had such a laugh together.  She asked George how he danced and he said, "We boys, didn't dance, we used to stand around the edge of the dance floor watching the girls dance". Which isn't true, in his youth George was brilliant at the jive. He could even dance a very mean "Bump". Do you remember "The Bump"?

So while we listen to, The Rhythm of Life from Sweet Charity it's on with the pinnie, because today we are making,



Spicy roast potatoes.  As you know I love chocolate and I love potatoes.... not together, although if I could make up a recipe including both, I would be very happy indeed. Now there's a thought for the future.

These spicy roast potatoes are perfect, with just enough spice to go with anything plain, such as a roasted chicken.... I have to tell you, I love them even when they are cold.

INGREDIENTS
YOU WILL NEED
TO MAKE
SPICY ROASTED POTATOES

5 tablespoons of sunflower oil
1 kg floury potatoes
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 teaspoon of black pepper
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
1 teaspoon of chilli flakes or powder

Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F

HOW TO MAKE
SPICY ROASTED POTATOES

1. Using a large saucepan, half fill with cold water.

2. Peel the potatoes and cut into half and then into quarters, then place into the pan of water.

3. Try to keep the potatoes the same size, you might find you will have to cut some potatoes in half and not into quarters. This allows the potatoes to cook at the same rate.

4. Drain the water from the pan, leaving the potatoes in the pan.  Refill with fresh water.  Just enough to cover the potatoes. Place a lid on the pan.

5. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt.

6. Bring the water to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer the potatoes for 7 minutes.  You want the potatoes to still be firm.

7.  Pour the oil into a baking tray and place in the oven, as you want the oil to be hot.

8. While the  oil is heating. Place the rest of the salt, black pepper, coriander, cumin, turmeric and chilli flakes in a dish and mix together.

9.   Drain the potatoes.

10. Sprinkle half of the spices over the drained potatoes and toss, to coat the potatoes (this is why the potatoes still need to be firm so they don't disintegrate when shaking the pan). Add the rest of the spice mixture and toss again.

11.  Remove the tray from the oven. Using tongs, place each potato in the oil.... the oil should sizzle. You will find you have a little spice mix left in the bottom of the pan. We will use it when we turn the roast potatoes.

12.  Roast for 20 minutes, then turn the potatoes and sprinkle the remaining spice over the potatoes. Roast for a further 15 minutes.


When the potatoes are crispy, remove them from the roasting tray.

I would say, the timings are approximate, because all our ovens cook at a different rate.  What you are looking for is a crispy potato.

If you are a lover of spice, these spicy roast potatoes are fabulous.

Do you know something, it is really strange not sharing step by step photographs with you.  I feel somehow that I am cheating. I know I will get used to it, but having shared step by step photographs for over 4 years, it is very hard to get out of the habit.

Oh and before I leave you, guess which film we are watching on Sunday.... yes that's right, Sweet Charity. I can't wait.

Take care and I will see you next Thursday.

This week I will be joining,

and
As Always,










No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...