Pages

Sunday 3 February 2013

GRAPEFRUIT MARMALADE

Good Morning to you,

Tell me, if I were to ask you why toast was created, what would your answer be?

I would have to say, it was created as a perfect accompaniment for homemade marmalade.

I had intended to buy some Seville oranges this week, as they are only available for a short period of time, but a friend of mine gave me 3 juicy grapefruits.  We halved one of the grapefruits and shared it for breakfast, but the remaining two, I decided to keep, so I could make some grapefruit marmalade.


The sunshine in the photograph was a happy accident and has enhanced the golden colour of the marmalade. The tablecloth I am using is one Phyllis embroidered as a young  woman,  over 60 years ago.....the stitches are so neat.

Let us get started. Gather your ingredients and equipment. You will need,


1 preserving pan
or
1 large deep, heavy based, saucepan
1 saucer
4 medium sized glass jars
4 wax discs 
4 lids

I save  glass jars for making jam and marmalade. Sterilize the jars, by washing with soapy water, then rinse. Pour boiling water over the jars then place them in the oven for approximately 15 minutes. Alternatively, you can use a dish washer to  sterilize the jars.

INGREDIENTS


 

2 large grapefruits 
weighing approximately 800g



juice of 2 lemons



1kg preserving sugar



Place a saucer in the deep freezer



Put the grapefruit into a large saucepan, filled with enough water so they float freely.

Bring to the boil and simmer for about 2 hours, by which time the grapefruit should be very soft.

Add more hot water from a kettle if the liquid is evaporating.  I found I topped up my saucepan 3 times.


Drain, place the fruit on a board


Slice the cooked grapefruit thinly and remove pips.



Then chop the slices, using the whole fruit,
pith and all.

 

 Put the chopped grapefruit back into the saucepan,


add the lemon juice



and sugar.


Let the sugar dissolve over a gentle heat and then bring to the boil until setting point of 110 degrees centigrade is reached, which will take about 15 minutes. 


If you do not have a sugar thermometer, use the saucer which we placed in the deep freezer. 

Take the saucer out of the freezer and carefully place a teaspoon of marmalade onto the cold saucer. Chill for 2 minutes, then push the marmalade with your finger, if the surface wrinkles, the setting point has been reached, if not, boil for a little longer and test again, but remember to place a saucer in the deep freeze again.

Remove the marmalade from the heat and  remove any film which had formed on the surface with a slotted spoon. I allowed the marmalade to stand for 15 minutes, then stirred to distribute the peel.


Ladle into warm sterilized jars.



Cover with waxed discs.
Leave to cool before adding the lids
and labelling the jars. 

I should have waited a couple of days to test the marmalade, but I could not wait, I enjoyed some on hot buttered toast for my breakfast this morning and I was not disappointed. There is nothing like home made marmalade.

Ivy always made her own marmalade, jam and chutney's.  Whatever was in season, it was bottled, to be used later in the year. Although grapefruits are not a seasonal fruit, they were a kind gift.

I found this recipe in How to be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson. This is an unusual method as normally I would put the pips, flesh and pith into a muslin bag....but this way there is much less fussing. The hardest thing is making sure the water does not evaporate when boiling the grapefruits.

Next week I am going to test this recipe with Seville Oranges.

Take care and I will see you later in the week.

This week I shall be joining,











27 comments:

  1. Yummy marmalade. The jars look lovely with the sun shining through them. I used to make my own marmalade when we lived in England, but now I buy it from the store ... only the best of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pssst I'm the lucky girl who never ever has to make marmalade.
    I love it.
    My sweet mum in law, 88 years old, makes marmelade for everybody.
    She is English, so you know it really is marmalade and no Dutch jam.
    Happy sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that looks so good! My husband loves marmalade- he would gobble this down quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Daphne! I absolutely LOVE marmalade, but have never thought to make it. I've made jam before, and have used your plate method too. Your marmalade looks delicious! And I would agree...that's what toast was made for! I will definitely give this recipe a try at some point, and will let you know how it tuns out. Enjoy your Sunday!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Daphne, first of all thank you for your kind comments on my post this morning.Like you I love marmalade on toast, especially home made. This recipe sounds 'right up my street' sorry I had to slip that northern expression in, as I don't get to use it outside of my home. I think I'll be making my own from now on. Most recipes always seem so fiddly to me.Thanks for sharing & also Thanks to Nigella, who until recently I wasn't very keen on. But I bought her recent recipe book as a present for my son after watching her prog on TV.I'll be first in the queue at my S/marche in the morning. hope it works with Seville oranges as my hubby isn't allowed grapefruit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your marmalade loos so yummy good. Red Ruby grapefruits are in season here in California and we have tons of Meyer lemons in the garden, maybe I'll summon enough courage to tackle your recipe :-) I have never made jam before, and I keep thinking I've got to do something
    with the lemons. Thank you for sharing the detailed recipe and beautiful photos.

    Visiting from pret-a-vivre.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Que lindo doce esse e mostraste o passo a passo em fotos lindas! beijos,chica

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love marmalade and had some this morning on my toast. I can't eat sugar so I buy it with fruit and fruit juice only. It's still sweet...just no added sugar. It's a wonderful treat! Thanks for sharing the recipe! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your marmalade looks delicious!...and a "labor of love". I've made jam and jelly before, but never marmalade. It's interesting that you have to cook the grapefruit first.Does the cooking make the grapefruit less bitter? The little wax discs look handy. My grandmother used to melt paraffin wax to pour in the jars to seal them. The discs look so much easier.
    Thanks for sharing your recipe.
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with your observation that toast was invented to slather marmalade on. Very detailed steps to follow if we care to make our own thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am fascinated by your whole process of making this marmalade. I would never think to make one out of grapefruit. Your photos are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such lovely shots of the sun lighting up the marmalade and dishes, too!

    ReplyDelete

  13. This looks delicious! Thanks for the wonderful tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your marmalade looks beautiful! And I must comment on your handwriting on the lovely jar! That can't be handwritten! It's too perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you'll post about the orange marmalade, as that is my favourite. A friend sent me some Seville Orange and Whiskey Marmalade for Christmas, from England. It was the best!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good Day To You!!!!

    The instructions are so well laid out for us. How thoughtful of you. I haven't had marmalade in years, so, this is going to be a treat!!

    Have a great week!!!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Daphne! Your pictures are so pretty! I love the jars you used to store your marmalade in. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe. I've had orange marmalade, but I would have never thought to make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Daphne,

    Aqui na Nova Zelândia tem muitas árvores de Grapefruit. Eu não gosto muito da fruta, por isso, amei essa sugestão que você nos trouxe hoje.
    As suas louças são lindas. Obrigada pelo carinho e pela receita.
    Uma linda semana. Abraços

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a great tutorial with amazing pictures! This sounds so simple...I didn't realize it was so easy to make marmalade! Thank you. I will have to try this myself. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hallo Daphne!I like homemade marmalades!And your's looks great!Your pictures are amazing!Thank you for your kind comment on my blog!
    Wishing you a lovely week!!
    Dimi..

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love marmalade and this sounds like a wonderful, and easy recipe. Sunshine preserved in a jar!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lindas fotos, adorei a côr que fica o doce,
    e deve ter ficado muito bom, delícia!
    qto ao sorteio , sinto muito , mas é somente para quem mora no Brasil , as despesas do correio são muito caras para fora daqui.
    e o mimo nem vale a pena!
    fica com meu carinho, gosto muito daqui!
    bjsss

    ReplyDelete
  23. Daphne, the marmalade looks so beautiful with the light shining through it. It must taste wonderful! Thank you for sharing your photos and recipe at Sunlit Sunday. I apologize for being slow in getting back to you; I'm still in Arizona for a little while longer and haven't been on the computer very much.
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Daphne! what lovely color have your homemade marmalade, look just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have a fridge full of Seville oranges just waiting to be turned into marmalade. I always love marmalade making season! I've not tried using grapefruit, but yours looks delicious.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. You asked about Challah. It is a braided bread similar in taste and texture to brioche. American bread pudding is quite different from the English Bread and Butter pudding. I love them both, but they are two very different dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  26. How did I miss this? I love grapefruit marmalade.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks fabulous. I have a grapefruit tree and have been thinking of making marmalade. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...