Pages

Sunday 24 August 2014

GREEK FETA WITH OREGANO, GARLIC AND OLIVE OIL

Good Morning to you,


It has been raining..... not just a little.... but quite a lot just lately.


Now being English, I just know, that as I have started my first sentence talking about the weather, you are going to assume that I am going to continue talking about the weather..... well, I am breaking with tradition, as I am going to resist..... yes honestly, I am going to resist.

You will see why in a moment.

Yesterday, I was busy catching up on my emails, when I happened to look up, and out of the window, I saw a very spritely, elderly lady, rushing by.  On her head she wore a scarf and to protect her scarf she had donned a plastic covering.  In her hands she had two shopping bags filled with her shopping and because of this little plastic covering, she did not need an umbrella, as it freed her hands to carry her shopping.

I have to tell you, it has been many a year since I have seen one of these plastic coverings.  I will describe it to you, as once described, I feel sure you will know what I am talking about. Imagine a square piece of cellophane, roughly twelve inches by twelve inches, which has been folded into a concertina. Once folded, each end is stitched and on each end, a length of ribbon  is attached. When it rains, the plastic cover is shaken, which opens the concertina and it is then popped over a hat or scarf and the ribbons tied..... and there you have it, protection from the rain.

I remember as a child, seeing many ladies wearing these plastic coverings to keep their hair, hat or scarves dry.  I remember Ivy, always had one tucked inside her handbag which she would bring out when the need arose.... and she always had a spare, which I wore on more than one occasion, but that was a long time ago and I did not think women wore them anymore.  So I spoke to Sadie, and asked her if she could remember the last time she wore one of these plastic coverings. She disappeared from the room for a moment and went into her cupboard to fetch her bag, she rustled around in the bottom of her handbag and like a rabbit out of a hat, she produced a plastic covering.... and promptly put it on her head to show me. She told me that lots of her friends still wore these plastic coverings when it rained as they were so useful, but when I spoke to Phyllis, she said that none of her friends wore plastic coverings anymore.... so it must depend on where a person lives as to whether they are still popular.

Today, I don't have to worry about popularity, 


because I know Feta Cheese with Oregano, Garlic and Olive Oil is very, very popular in my household.

So, it's on with the pinnie and the music I am listening to today, I just know you will love,


the one and only Bobby Darin.  Don't you just love 'Beyond the Sea', 'Mack the Knife' and 'Dream Lover'. I'll let you into a little secret, when 'Splish Splash' started playing, George and I could not help ourselves, we had a little bop around the kitchen..... you never forget the dance steps do you.

So whilst the energising 'Early in the Morning' is playing I will organise my ingredients.

INGREDIENTS
FOR
FETA CHEESE WITH OREGANO,
GARLIC AND OLIVE OIL

500g Greek Feta Cheese
2 garlic cloves
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon of dried oregano
(2 tablespoons if shop bought)
Approximately 3/4 pint of extra virgin olive oil

YOU WILL NEED

3 x 1/2 pint jars with lids
Sterilize the jars in the normal way

HOW TO MAKE
FETA CHEESE WITH OREGANO,
GARLIC AND OLIVE OIL


Cut the Feta Cheese into small cubes.


Finely slice the garlic,


Remove the leaves from the
dried oregano


Half fill the 3 jars with the cubed feta cheese 


Sprinkle oregano over the feta cheese,
make sure you have enough left
to repeat the process.



Tuck a bay leaf into each jar

and


divide  the sliced garlic 
between the three jars.


Top the jars up with the 
remaining Feta cheese
and sprinkle the remaining oregano
between the 3 jars.


Fill each jar with olive oil
(you can see a couple of pieces of Feta cheese
poking  through the oil.... I dealt with them
and pushed them back into the oil!)

Place the lids on securely.


This next little bit is totally optional.

Cut out three 7 inch rounds of material with pinking shears

and


place over the lid of the jars.
Secure the material with elastic bands.
Tie with ribbon or string.

Store in a cool place.

Now, I cannot tell you how long they will last,
because in our house they do not last
very long,
but I should imagine as long as the Feta 
cheese is immersed in the olive oil
they should last for a month or so.

The reason I cut the material rounds is that I am going to give two of the jars to friends as gifts.  I always enjoy making any gift I give look attractive.

Oh I have to tell you before I go,  if you listened to 'Early in the Morning', Bobby Darin was singing with 'The Rinky Dinks' I don't why, but that name just tickled me. Does anyone remember 'The Rinky Dinks'?



Oh yes, just one more thing and then I am going. I thought I would mention, don't worry if you cannot fit all the Feta cheese into the jars, as I had a couple of pieces left over. Now what to do with them..... well I see them as 'cooks perks' so I popped them into my mouth and ate them.....feel free to do the same.

Take care and I will see you on Wednesday.

This week I will be joining,


and








No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...