Pages

Thursday 22 October 2015

CHEESE MUFFINS ~ THE PERFECT LITTLE BITE

Good Morning to you,

Yesterday I had one of those days,  so rather than staying indoors, I decided to wrap myself up in my warmest coat, put on my hat and gloves and off I trekked.... at quite a pace I might add. The speed at which I walk is always indicative of my mood, if I am upset about something, I walk at a very fast pace, but if I am calm, I love nothing better than a gentle stroll.

.... but yesterday, I have to tell you, I walked at quite a pace.... so you know how I felt. 

I always find, there is nothing like a long walk to clear the mind.

.... and it certainly worked yesterday.

I find, when out walking, each season brings with it, its own personal pleasures. For instance, because we are so far into autumn, the trees are losing a great deal of leaves at the moment, and they lay on the ground, in colourful heaps, just waiting for the right person to walk by.

.... and yesterday, that right person, was me.

As I walked along the pathway I could see up ahead a large colourful heap of leaves. Firstly, I looked around to see if anyone was looking, yes, I have to tell you, I felt just a little self conscious of what I was about to do, and then, when I was sure no one was watching, I walked through the fallen leaves, kicking the leaves high in the air and I loved every minute of it. Do you know, it felt very therapeutic.

Then, just as I had finished having fun, around the corner walked a young mother with her little girl. We smiled at each other and said good morning and as they passed me by,  I turned around to see if the little girl would notice the leaves lying on the ground, or would she ignore the leaves and just walk by.... and do you know what, she did notice the leaves, because when she saw them, she shook loose her mother's hand, and starting running towards the fallen leaves. When she reached the pile of leaves, she did not slow down, she ran straight into the centre and started kicking the leaves in the air. As they floated around her, she bent down, and picked up some more leaves and threw them into the air as well, so she was showered with autumn leaves. They floated down onto her head and the leaves began attaching themselves to her long hair, which she loved and found very funny. 

This little scenario all took place in a matter of a few moments, but what a lovely few moments they were.

I turned away, ready to carry on with my walk and all I could hear was the squeals of laughter each time the little girl, kicked more of the leaves up in to the air.  

.... and do you know something else, it was such a tonic. To think, a heap of autumn leaves and the sound of a little girls laughter could make me feel so happy.... it really is true isn't it.... it is the simply things in life which make us really happy.

So by the time I returned home, I was in a better place, but, my oh my, I was really hungry.... a long walk often does that to me.

I had some tomato soup ready and waiting, but I wanted something a little more than bread, so I decided to make,


some cheese muffins, which go perfectly with tomato soup.... what is nicer than cheese and tomato.

So 'it's on with the pinnie' and the singer I am listening to today,  has only just come to my attention. 


I heard Jamie's record the other day while listening to BBC Radio Newcastle.... a radio station I love, because I hear all sorts of new music.



The first time I heard Jamie's song, I was so caught up with the words, that I did not find my pen and paper, in time to write down Jamie's name.  So I decided to leave my pen and notepad on the sideboard, ready to pick up when I heard the song again. The song which you are about to hear is really lovely.... just listen to the words.




I promise you the video will bring tears to your eyes, so please have the tissues at the ready. I believe the album has been out for 4 years, but has only just captured people's attention. I loved the album so much that I instantly bought it from Itunes


So now, while I listen to 'Sometimes It's Hard, I will organise my ingredients.



INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED
TO MAKE
CHEESE MUFFINS

Makes:  8 small cheese muffins

You will need: 1 muffin tin
and
 8 small paper muffin cases

100g wholegrain bread (approx 2 large slices)
2 tablespoons of milk
pinch of salt
pinch of black pepper
75g of Cheddar cheese
3 large eggs


HOW 
TO MAKE
CHEESE MUFFINS


Pre-heat the oven to 220C
 or 
200C if you have a fan assisted oven.




Cut the slices of bread into fours and place into
a food processor.  
Whizz for a few minutes until the slices of bread
turn into breadcrumbs.

Tip the breadcrumbs into a bowl

and




add the salt,



the pepper



and the milk.

Mix the ingredients together.


Grate the cheese
and
add to the mixture.
Mix to combine the ingredients.

Set aside for the moment.




Separate the egg yolk and the egg white
and
gently whisk the egg yolk.
Set aside for the moment.




Place the separated egg whites 
into a clean bowl
and




whisk until the egg whites form fluffy peaks.



Add the egg yolks to the egg white and whisk together... this should only take a minute to combine.



Using a metal spoon gently fold in the bread mixture a couple of tablespoons at a time.

When completely folded in,





spoon the mixture
into the muffin cases.

Bake for 12 -14 minutes.
 I would recommend that you start checking the muffins
after 12 minutes.

When cooked, remove from the oven

and 



by the time you have heated up your tomato soup



the muffins will be at the right temperature,
and
ready to eat.

So all there is left to do,
 is 
enjoy.

Now if you prefer you can use the larger sized muffin cases and make 6 instead of 8.  You will have to cook the cheese muffins for a little longer, about 18 minutes.

You can also, change the cheese and add Parmesan, or any other cheese which you enjoy, but it has to be a hard cheese.  

I find these cheese muffins make a nice change to the heavier winter dumplings which George loves.... but I will leave it there, as they are for another time.


Take care and I will see you next Thursday.


This week I will be joining,



and








No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...