Pages

Wednesday 12 February 2014

A "GEORGE" SIZED SANDWICH

Good Morning to you,


I was having a discussion today with my friend about the actress Kristen Scott Thomas.  I was saying that she was a talented actress and my friend agreed and then, as only women do, we discussed Kristen's amazing cheekbones.  My friend went on to mention another film she enjoyed with Kristen and that was Salmon Fishing in the Yemen.  I then said, that there was another very good film.... and with that, my mind went blank.

Do you think I could think of the name of the film. No!

I described the film.... well sort of. I said, the film was set in the 1930's and 1940's, lots of sand and desert, a romance.... it's also a book. It was beginning to sound a little like Charades. No, neither of us could think of the film.

I said it was Natasha's favourite film.... as if my friend knew which film was Natasha's favourite film, but I threw it in anyway.... but could I think of the film..... no I could not.

Now if Natasha had been with me, she would have whipped out her Ipad and Googled the information.... that probably isn't a very good example, because of course Natasha would have known the film I was talking about, as it is her favourite film... but you know what I mean, if there is any information needed the Ipad is whipped out and we have the information instantly.

But Natasha wasn't with me, and I don't own an Ipad, so I carried on thinking about the film.... yes deserts kept creeping into my mind.... I know I said that before....more deserts oh yes and an aeroplane..... nope the film would not show it's face.

I thought to myself, don't think about the film, it will come, so while I am not thinking about the film.... which you know is not true, because I am thinking about the film, I will  show you George's Valentine's treat for today,


this hugely flavoursome sandwich.  I was not sure what to call it, as it is filled with caramelised onions, peppered ham and Leerdammer Cheese, oh yes, and I used walnut bread.  If I had used all the ingredients in the title, it would have made the title far too long, so I decided to name it...... A "George" Sized Sandwich".

So it is on with my pinnie and the music I am listening to today is,



the fabulous singer, Will Young.  Will is not only a great singer but also an actor.  If you have not seen the film "Mrs Henderson Presents" please do.  The film stars Will Young, Dame Judi Dench and Bob Hoskins. It is about a group of people who bring The Windmill Theatre back to life in the 1930's.

I have to tell you I am still trying to think about the film.  Maybe the title will spring into my mind whilst I organise my ingredients.


INGREDIENTS

2 slices of Walnut bread
3 slices of peppered ham
3 slices of Leerdammer Cheese
1 medium sized red onion
1 tablespoon of olive oil
and a little extra to coat the outside of the bread
Enough butter to spread on the bread

HOW TO MAKE 
A "GEORGE" SIZED SANDWICH


Slice the onion

and


place 
1 tablespoonful of olive oil
in a pan
and
add the onions.
Cook the onions until caramelised,
be patient as this will take a while,
but it really is worth the time.


When the onions are almost caramelised,
slice two pieces of Walnut bread.


You have a choice now,
you can, 
butter one side of the two slices of bread
or
you can brush with olive oil.
I tend to use butter on the inside
and olive oil on the outside.


Place the cheese on one piece
of buttered bread

and then


Place the peppered ham on top.
You might have to roll the ham and cheese, 
depending on the size you use.


Place the caramelised onions


on the second slice of buttered bread

then,


carefully lay the open sandwich of
ham and cheese
on top of the slice of bread
with the caramelised onions.

Brush the outsides of the sandwich with olive oil
or butter if you prefer.

Heat a pan and place the sandwich in the pan.

Using a spatula, gently press the sandwich down,
don't flatten it, as to my mind, a squashed sandwich 
is not a very nice sandwich.

When one side has browned, carefully
turn the sandwich over and
repeat the process again.



When the sandwich is golden brown you will find
that the Leerdammer cheese begins to melt
and believe me when I tell you,
this is a very, very, nice sandwich.

Just a couple of thoughts, be patient, when  you come to  brown the sandwich, as it will take a little while.  You don't want the pan to be too hot,  because this will brown the  sandwich far too quickly and you won't have a creamy cheese filling.

If you have a sandwich maker, don't be tempted to use it, as this sandwich is a full sandwich and you will loose something if you squash the sandwich.

Of course you can use any bread you wish.  I use Walnut bread, because it adds an extra dimension to the sandwich and I find good bread does make all the difference.  In case you are interested in making your own bread, I will be making Walnut bread later in the year.

So there will be one more treat for George before St Valentine's Day and what is quite normal for me is, I haven't decided what to make just yet..... but I do have another couple of days to decide.

Oh, and in case you are wondering about the film, no the title did not pop into my mind, as I hoped it would, I had to Google it and I am so glad I did, as it put my mind at rest.

The film is "The English Patient" alongside Kristen Scott Thomas the other fabulous actors were, Ralph Fiennes, Willem Dafoe, Juliette Binoche and Colin Firth...... I am now at peace.

Take care and I will see you a little earlier this week, because it is St Valentine's Day on Friday, so it will be George's final treat.

This week I will be joining,







No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...