Pages

Wednesday 29 May 2013

BAUBLES, BANGLES AND BEADS

Good Morning to you,


I have had a fabulous couple of days, which included lots of gardening and a bar-b-cue. My garden is now nice and tidy and the warm days have allowed so many plants to put on a growth spurt.  I think they were poised  and ready to burst out, but they did not want to raise their head's above the parapet until the warm weather finally arrived.  Apparently, this year our season is a month behind the norm, but I am not complaining as I am enjoying the sunshine.  

Checking around the garden this morning, I noticed  the Clematis are putting on leaves, as are the Roses, well actually just about everything in the garden is happy to come out and say hello. Even George's Bonsai trees are coming into leaf.

I really enjoy gardening, but I also enjoy listening to music.... all types, I have no particular genre which I like more than others, I can swing from classical to blues to folk to country music very easily. Yesterday whilst pottering around the house, I was playing a Frank Sinatra CD, and I stopped in my tracks, as guess what I discovered,  a song I had forgotten about, but it really has to become my  theme song.

Do you remember Baubles, Bangles and Beads, sung by Frank Sinatra,


Baubles, bangles, hear how they jing,
jinga-linga,
Baubles, bangles, bright shiny beads,
Sparkles, spangles, your heart will sing,
sing-alinga,
Wearin' baubles, bangles and beads!

Well, that's me isn't it! Mrs Baubles, Bangles and Beads!

So today, in honour of my newly found theme song, I thought I would show you something I love, which is covered in baubles, bangles and beads.


What do you think it is? 

Is it a box of delicious chocolates?
or
is it a box of scrummy biscuits?
No, well how about,
sewing supplies?
Or maybe,
it is full of beads and sequins?

Have you guessed yet?

Alright, I will stop teasing you. This is a beautifully decorated jewellery box which was given to me as a gift by my daughter Danielle... isn't it just the perfect gift for me.


The lid is beautifully hand stitched with sequins and beads. This is a very labour intensive piece of beautiful work.  I would love to meet the person who hand stitched this to say thank you, as I do know how much time it takes to complete a piece like this.


Each circle on the lid is decorated differently. The brighter pink reminds me of the colour of candy floss, which we bought as children when the Travelling Fair arrived on the village green.  Do you remember how it was made, I do not know the actual process, but I do remember being mesmerised. The stall holder would place an empty stick into a revolving drum  and when he removed the stick, as if by magic, it would be wrapped in bright pink fluffy gorgeousness. As a child I loved candyfloss, I think  it was because the candyfloss seemed huge and the colour was an electric pink and if you ate it slowly, it seemed to last forever. 


Using different shades of pink sequins, silver sequins and tiny white and silver beads. There are literally hours and hours of work which have gone into this piece.


Every so often, there is a circle of bright pink, which stands out against the subtle colours. The brightness of the pink, draws you in.


..... and every now and again, there is a rogue pink sequin which is much brighter than the rest. I wonder if the person who sewed this piece  noticed and left it in the work as a bit of fun.


 Even the detail around the edges is perfect,



the exquisite work just go on and on.  



In this section punched sequins have been used as an added item of interest.

...... I just love this jewellery box.



....... and what do you think you will find inside?

Why...... a heart necklace of course!

Take care and I will see you on Sunday.

This week I will be joining,










21 comments:

  1. Good morning Daphne!

    What a lovely jewelry box and necklace. The work is exquisite, isn't it? I question if the individual who made it wonders where it ended up in the world or if they are still making them?

    The song does seem to be a perfect fit for you! Have a wonderful week in the garden and I hope the weather stays warm and sunny for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nothing like beads and sequins and your box is so beautiful
    that was a lot of hand work for someone

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..that looks so fancy, pretty, and delicate! Just adorable..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Daphne,
    Lovely jewelry box with quite some intricate work of art done in creating it!
    Have a lovely day and remainder of the week.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Daphne

    I decide to find a link to the song you mentioned and enjoyed listening to it as I read your post. Your photography shows the detail in this exquisite jewelry box so beautifully!

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing box!Very nice aand sweet gift!!!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beautiful jewelry box, and the hard work is very evident. Love the sparkle and shine of sequins. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a intricate work of art...such detail and beauty. And what a perfect gift for you. The necklace is lovely, too. Your daughter was so sweet and thoughtful! I know you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Daphne. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love your work here -- just stunning! Cheers,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Daphne!!!!

    I'm sorry I haven't visited until now, but, what a great visit I had today!!!

    How I love your gorgeous jewel box with plenty of soft pink!! At first I thought it was a button, but, was pleasantly surprised. The workmanship is so delicately done and yes it must have taken many an hour to complete.

    I love the beautiful heart necklace that is kept in your new jewel box!! I love that we have the same love of pink and hearts!!

    Enjoy the rest of the week!!

    Pam
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Daphne!
    I love your jewellery box it looks sooo beautiful.
    I´m your new follower via GFC.

    Hugs from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an absolutely gorgeous jewelry box. Oh my, the work that must of gone into making that. The necklace inside is wonderful too. After reading this I am reminded to go and find some bracelets for the day ... got to have my baubles, bangles and bling on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. MY GOODNESS, now those sequins are not simple! Those are complex, masterful, intricate and TIME CONSUMMMMMMING, WOW!

    Daphne! Have fun at your niece's wedding! That is bound to be a great occasion. Yay for marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an extravagant gift !
    I love the beautiful detailed work in the softest of colors.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful gift, Daphne, and such exquisite handwork that went into it. I do love the bright pink rogue sequin! My garden is coming along at the same pace as yours.... spreading green and leafing out and glad to see the sun again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's beautiful. And yes, I think the person who made the box chose the the red-pink sequin for a reason. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is exquisite. I can't even imagine having a talent like that ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous! And for once I guessed correctly - a jewelry box! It has such amazing detail and such incredible handwork.

    I have a recording of Frank Sinatra singing Baubles, Bangles and Beads - from the musical, Kismet, by the way - and I love it!

    Thanks so much for joining in this week.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is so pretty! Love all the details on this box, and that song is the perfect fit!

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  20. I guessed wrong...from the thumbnail on Mockingbird Hill's party, I thought maybe it was a quilt. Beautiful jewelry box, and you got really sharp images for being up so close, you must have a great camera. Take care- Dawn @ We Call It Junkin

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Daphne,

    What an exquisite little gem of a jewellery box! Gorgeous detailing, embroidery, and pattern and love all the pretty pink tones melting into each other! Lucky you! Enjoy!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...