Pages

Sunday 18 November 2012

ARE YOU A COLLECTOR OR ENTHUSIAST?


Good Morning to you,

Take a look around your home and tell me, are you a collector?

If you are, can you remember how your collection started?

Did it start with an item you bought?

Or, did it start with a gift?

Do you think the word collector is correct. I'm not so sure, as I do not see myself as a collector,  I see myself , more of an enthusiast. I know collector and enthusiast mean the same thing  but personally I prefer the word enthusiast.

Which leads me nicely to my enthusiasm for hearts. 


Thinking back, my love of hearts, began when I became engaged to George. The   engagement ring I chose had a heart in the centre.  Then for my 21st birthday, George bought me a beautiful heart shaped bracelet.

.... and so, slowly, and it was slowly, my love affair with hearts began.


George bought this heart for me in 1975. We were visiting the most wonderful Christmas Fayre in Dortmund, Germany. The Fayre had a whole range of Christmas items ready for eager consumers to buy. Dotted around the Fayre were people selling  Gluhwein. We enjoyed the odd glass or two, as it was freezing outside and it certainly  warmed the "cockles of our hearts".  As we walked around taking in all the wonderful sights, we  spotted a stall selling handmade wooden hearts.   George chose this little heart for me, which was so romantic. This heart has always hung  in my kitchen,  as that is where I spend most of my time, but at Christmas time, it finds it's way onto our Christmas tree, to remind us of wonderful times spent as a family in Germany.

This is the reverse side, "Ich liebe Dich" which translates .... "I love you".  It always reminds me of the film, GI Blues with Elvis Presley. Do you remember the song Wooden Heart?





This heart is made of star anise and  hangs in my kitchen. Don't you think star anise looks like an eight pointed star.  The seeds have an aniseed flavour and is one of the spices in Chinese five spice. This  star anise heart perfumes the air with a delicate spicy aroma.



This heart was given to me by Natasha, as a Mother's Day gift and I absolutely adore it. This is a Southern Indian, hand carved, wooden block. This block  is used as a technique to create designs on material.  Next year I will be sharing with you some more hand carved blocks, photographs of the artisans who use them and patterned material they create using these blocks. 



This little lovely also lives in my kitchen and "tings" when  the central heart is moved.



This heart was bought for me by Danielle, again as a Mother's Day gift.  My daughters know how to spoil me and make me smile.  I  love this heart as it always makes me think of Danielle.


This is a more rustic heart. There a three hearts, one large, one medium and one small.



Now for a complete change... my beautiful heart cushion.  This cushion has been machine embroidered with shiny white silks. I have two of these heart cushions and they are perfect for Christmas.



I know what you are thinking.....what has Audrey Hepburn got to do with hearts.....well to start with I love this cushion, so I think with the current thinking of " I heart you", alright I will use straight forward English, " I love you" it qualifies and secondly, but most importantly,


do you see the little heart motif....yes, the motif is small, but I love the cushion and the heart motif gives it enough reason to be included... don't you agree.

It has been lovely to think back to when some of my favourite things were bought and I hope you enjoyed them aswell.

I will see you later in the week, so until then, take care.

  



28 comments:

  1. Lindos corações que fazem parte de tua vida! Também gosto muito deles! beijos,chica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Chica, How lovely that you like hearts as well. I receive mine as gifts or sometimes I buy them myself. They are mainly hung in my kitchen as I like a bright colourful kitchen. Have a lovely day. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  2. Hello, Daphne

    I can see that each piece of your collection brings back a specific memory and holds a special place in your own heart. I don't have an extensive collection of anything, but I have been know to pick up a piece of pottery or a small painting from various travels. They remind me of lovely places and/or people.

    Have a wonderful week,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Karen, I think that is what collecting is all about, memories. So although you say you don't have an extensive collection of anything, I expect the memories come flooding back when you look at or touch a piece of pottery or painting, which you brought back from your travels. It will remind you of the people and places you visited. Which for me, is the lovely thing about possessions. Have a lovely day. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  3. Amo corações e já fiz muitosss! bjss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Lena, How lovely that you like hearts aswell. This is why we all write to each other, because we have similar interests. Have a lovely day Lena, Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  4. Hello Daphne,

    I too love hearts and wow your collection is good.

    I really enjoyed the story of the heart that your husband bought for you in Germany,
    lovely memories for you both...

    I also thought that the red hearts you posted about earlier in the week were fantastic.

    Your kitchen must be filled with love
    if it is displaying all those gorgeous creations.

    I love the black wrought iron table you have displayed your goodies on (is it a table) or a shelf? It is very nice.

    I like hearts and I like owls and so the collecting continues!!

    Have a lovely evening. It is wet wet wet here.

    x Fiona

    ps still knitting that bloomin scarf thingy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Fiona, How fabulous, something else we have in common. I'm glad you enjoyed my stories, the memories do come flooding back when I look at the hearts. I have a very colourful kitchen as I love colour, but my living room is totally different, it is cream with a splash of colour... an oasis of calm. I have a kitchen/dining room and the hearts were photographed on a wrought iron bookshelf. The perfect place to hang them, as they photographed so well. Owls are cute, so I can see why you love them....do you have a particular favourite. Oh, no you are having rain aswell, our forecast is rain, rain and more rain all week! Keep going with your scarf, you'll get there...honest! Take care, have a lovely week. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  5. I love all your hearts, I also have lots of them from my connections with Denmark, as they use hearts for Christmas decorations. My sons wife always ties one on gifts. Mine will all be brought out for Christmas.
    Best wishes Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Barbara, So you love hearts aswell, I love the idea of tying a heart to a Christmas present. Your Christmas hearts are from Denmark and mine are from Germany. I lived there many years ago and loved the style of decorating Christmas trees, lots of red and wooden decorations. So I will think of you as you unwrap your Christmas decorations ready to hang on your tree. When do you start decorating? for me the sooner the better so I can enjoy the decorations for as long as possible. Or should I say, when I can persuade George that it really isn't too early to decorate....1st December if I can get away with it! Have a lovely day. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  6. Oh Daphne, you have lovely hearts!~ I am a collector...a collector of everything! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Debbie, So you are a collector aswell, I guessed you were when I saw the lovely 1950's flour sifter. Have a lovely day, Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  7. I am a collector of many things ... spoons, mugs, teapots china bells, birdhouses, bird ornaments and more. I started collecting souvenier spoons many years ago on a vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Linda, I think we are all collectors in one way or another. I should imagine your collection is fascinating to see. Teapots are lovely things to collect, because there is such a huge variety and there are some beautiful spoons. How did your collection begin, and which was the first item you bought? Have a lovely day. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  8. What a nice collection! Your heart motif cushion is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Mary, Thank you. Yes the heart motif cushion is stunning, it shines in my room and is perfect for Christmas time. Ooops, there's that word again. Have a lovely day today. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  9. Such sweet memories; and what a wonderful way to become an enthusiast!

    Teddy bears for me, and it all started with a wee teddy bear named Murray that the Great Scot popped into a dozen roses. Both were firsts for me, and from that day forward he's made sure to give me a bear every now and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Jacqueline, Yes, all the hearts hold a special meaning for me.
      Teddy bears are so sweet and what a romantic way to start your collection, a dozen roses and a Teddy bear named Murray. I bet your heart swells with love when you look at him....what a romantic husband you have. Enjoy your day today. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  10. Daphne, your heart collection is very beautiful and so meaningful as many were thoughtful gifts from your family!

    I seem to collect books, and I've packed many boxes of them as we prepare for our move. I also like to collect shaped cookie cutters and cake pans, and Christmas ornaments. I think my husband believes I collect too many things ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Pat, I noticed from one of your posts that you loved books. I remember you were talking about having to sort out your books as you were getting organised to move home. How did that go? My daughter had the same problem, she is a lover of books and she has what I can only describe as a library of books. When she was moving she wanted to sort our her books and give some away.....we laughed when she told us how many she had decided to part with.....out of 3,000 books she could only give away 3! Are you the same?
      Hope the packing is going well for you. Have a lovely day, Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  11. nice heart collection! love all the textures and materials included in your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Daniela, Thank you, I'm pleased you enjoyed my heart collection. It's amazing how quickly these things grow into a collection. Have a lovely day, Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  12. My dear Daphne,your house is full of beautiful hearts collection!!I love them all!!I realy enjoy reading and waching this post!!
    Wishing you my friend,a happy week!!Kisses!!
    Dimi..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good Morning Daphne, I heart your hearts. Thank you for sharing your collection with us, and a lovely collection it is. Isn't it funny how taking pictures and talking about something that is special to us, brings back all the memories, and gives us a whole new appreciation for them? Hope you are having a lovely day. Take care, Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hola Daphne gracias por sus comentario y por el aviso intentaré enviar mi receta me comunicaré si es para Europa solamente ...su colección de corazones es muy hermosa me encantó el cojín porque me considero entusiasta antes coleccionista tengo más de 60 cojines artesanales de varios lugares,gracias abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hearts suites you!!! Full of love!!! What a pretty collection!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Daphne! hello! Your kind words to me each time are so nice, they make me smile.

    Yes, hearts are such a fav of mine. I went hog-wild in the 80's with hearts then. Now days i love circles. [notice my banner, etc.] hahahahaha.

    See you on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your collection of hearts Daphne! I love that it started so many years ago and that you've kept it going all of these years. What great memories!

    I collect many things that my Mom collected--apothecary jars and scales, and some things that I've started collecting myself--birdhouses and typewriters. Yes, I have a lot of collections. haha!

    Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...