Pages

Sunday, 26 May 2013

ENGLISH SCONES

Good Morning to you,


The sunshine has arrived and it is a lovely morning. I have the washing drying and it is happily flapping in the breeze. We actually managed to sit in the garden to enjoy our morning cup of coffee.  I know I sound excited, but it is the first time this year that we have managed to sit in the garden, as it has been too cold until now. Our weather has been really unseasonal, as the day before we were wrapped up in coats, hats, scarves and gloves, so I think you can understand my excitement.

Later today we are going to set-to and sort out the garden.  After a week of watching The Chelsea Flower Show, I feel inspired, so it is time to move plants around and to take a look and find out what has had the courage to peek through the soil, 

....but first, it is time to make these gorgeous scones,


So let us begin,

The Ingredients



1 lb (460g) of plain flour
pinch of salt
2 oval teaspoons of baking powder
4 oz (115g) butter, cut into small cubes
4 oz  (115g) sugar
1/2 pint of buttermilk
1 tablespoon of milk

The Method

Butter a large baking tray
and sprinkle with a little flour
l large bowl
Baking Cutters



Choose the size of cutter you would 
like your finished scones to be.


Over a bowl,
sift together the flour, salt and
baking powder


Add the butter


and rub into the flour until
the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs


Add the sugar and mix well, to make
 sure it is fully incorporated


Add the buttermilk


Mix to a soft dough, at this point I discovered
I needed an extra tablespoon of milk
to bind the mixture together. I did not 
have any buttermilk left so I used
ordinary milk.
Do not over stir


Place the mixture on a surface and knead
 very lightly.
Do not be tempted to roll the mixture,
with a rolling pin, 
pat gently to a depth of 3/4" or 2 cm
and cut into rounds


Place the scones on the pre-prepared tray
and bake at 200c for about 
10-15 minutes.
Check after 10 minutes,
remember all ovens vary


Leave to cool on a wire baking rack.
Don't they look lovely,
but we need to do a couple of more
things to enhance their beauty.



When the scones are cooled, you can
make your choice.
Firstly, cut the scone in half and
spread with butter.
Now this is the fun bit, you can
choose to top the scone with lemon curd
and creme fraiche
or jam and whipped cream
or lemon curd and whipped cream
the choice is yours.
Replace the top of the scone and
sprinkle with a little icing sugar,

and what I  know is,


you will have a fabulous time eating it!

The recipe I chose was from Phyllis' cookery book. I doubled the ingredients and I changed one ingredient, which was the cream. Instead of cream I used buttermilk which I prefer to use in scones.

The recipe called for a half a gill of cream, my word I had to think about that one, as gills are not used as a measurement anymore.  Just incase you come across a gill in an old recipe book 1 gill = 1/4 pint.

George, my chief taster was on hand to give his verdict.... I think you have come to realise, that when cooking and baking is involved, George is never very far away.

George chose a scone, which was buttered, then spread with a thick layer of creme fraiche and lemon curd. (If you would like the recipe for Lemon Curd see here.) He said the creme fresh worked well with the sweet, lemon flavour of the lemon curd. Actually this is George's review of the scones,

"The outside has a nice little crunch,
which he liked, as normally 
scones do not have a crunch.
The inside was light and fluffy,
the lemon curd
was not too sweet 
and the creme fraiche was a success."

Praise indeed for these scones.

Just to say, do not expect all the scones to be perfect, because remember this is home baking, but I know you will not be disappointed when you make them.

Just as an added note, when I cut the scone in half, you will have noticed that George wanted creme fraiche first and then the lemon curd...... his comment was that the half scone looked like a muffin and the creme fraiche and lemon curd reminded him of a poached egg. Mmmm, poached eggs  on a muffin ..... I am not sure how to respond to that! You have just had a little insight into George's sense of humour!

Take care and I will see you later in the week.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...