Pages

Thursday 14 May 2015

HOW TO MAKE AUBERGINE, FETA AND RED PEPPER OPEN SANDWICHES

Good Morning to you,


'Well, well.  What a pretty picture', Mrs Swindell
said, clapping the money box lid shut.
'Poor Mr Swindell, out in the mud, digging
for the treasures what put food in your
ungrateful mouths'

The Forgotten Garden
Kate Morton

I am really enjoying 'The Forgotten Garden' by Kate Morton and if I have the time, I read a few chapters each day. A little way into the book, I came across the above passage. My word, 'mudlarks' they are a something from the past and quite forgotten by me. 

Firstly, let me explain what a 'mudlark' is.

A 'mudlark' is someone who scavenges in river mud searching for items which have been buried in the mud. They search during low tide for anything which can be re-sold. 

... and I have memories of mudlarks. As a young girl, when we visited Ivy and Gramps, we would travel by train, which I loved, but the part I liked the best, was the brief, but exciting ferry boat crossing.

We would arrive at Portsmouth Harbour and walk across a walkway.  If the tide was low, we would look over the barricades and there would be 'mudlarks' knee deep in mud, waiting for people to throw coins, which the 'mudlarks' would then retrieve. If they were lucky the 'mudlarks' would catch the coins, but if the coins landed in the mud, they would then have the awful task of searching in the mud for their treasure.

What is it about children and mud, because, I so wanted to be a part of the mudlark gang, I wanted to stand knee deep in mud (which Phyllis would never have allowed) and try and catch the pennies which were thrown.

On a serious note,  during the 1950's many people, were experiencing a difficult time and often, 'mudlarks' would help with the family finances. The children would give the money they collected to their parents to help put food on the table. To me as a young girl, mudlarking seemed fun, but of course, it wasn't, it was a sign of  poverty.

.... also in the 1950's, when we visited Ivy and Gramps, Ivy would make us lovely sandwiches for teatime and as it is 'British Sandwich Week' this week, I thought it a good idea to make a sandwich..... of sorts.... which George loves.


It is not a sandwich in the true sense of the word, because it is not made with sliced bread and it does not have a slice of bread on top..... but we very rarely eat sandwiches these days and having just one slice of ciabatta works well for us. So it is my version of an open sandwich.

So it's on with the pinnie and the music I have chosen to listen to today, is a bit of a mix.... they are individual pieces of music which I know both Danielle and Natasha love, so I thought it would be fun to share a few of their favourites.




'Baby Don't You Cry'
Quincy Coleman
(I always have a tear when I hear this song)

'Hey Ya'
Obadiah Parker

'Song For You'
Alexi Murdoch

'If Not For You'
Derek Webb
and
Sandra McCracken

'Your Love Is My Love'
Whitney Houston

So while I listen to 'That's My Daughter in the Water' by Wainwright Loudin I will organise my ingredients.

INGREDIENTS
YOU WILL 
NEED
TO MAKE
AUBERGINE, FETA AND RED PEPPER
OPEN SANDWICHES

2 ciabatta rolls cut in half
or
4 slices of your favourite bread
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 clove of garlic
2 red sweet peppers
100g feta cheese
1 large aubergine
a few basil leaves
sea salt

Pre-heat the oven: 180C

HOW TO MAKE
AUBERGINE, FETA AND RED PEPPER
OPEN SANDWICHES

Cut the red peppers in half
and
remove seeds and membrane.


Brush a tablespoon
of 
olive oil onto a baking tray
and


place the red peppers
onto the baking tray.
Roast until slightly charred.
This normally takes about 45 minutes,
but it does depend on the size of the
peppers used.

When roasted 
carefully place the peppers into a dish
and 
cover with a clean tea towel.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes then
remove the skins.
(Pop over and see the step by step
instructions for roasted peppers
or
 you can leave the skin of the
red peppers in tact.


Slice the red peppers into strips
and 
set aside for the moment.


Remove the stem
from the
aubergine
and 
cut into cubes.


Drizzle
1 tablespoon of olive oil
into a pan
and over a medium heat
cook the aubergine
until brown and tender.
I tend to move
the aubergine around the pan every few minutes.
Aubergines tend to absorb the oil
so if needs be add a little more.


Grate the garlic
and
when the aubergine
is almost cooked
add
the grated garlic to the pan
and 
cook for a minute or so.


Remove the mixture
from the pan and place into a bowl.


Mash the aubergine.


Season
with 
sea salt,
but not too much
as
we will be adding
Feta cheese 
to the open sandwiches.


Split the ciabatta rolls
in half
and
toast both sides until
golden and crispy.


Spread a quarter
of the mashed aubergine
onto 
each ciabatta half.

Then


divide the roasted, sliced red peppers
between the four pieces of ciabatta.


Cube the Feta cheese
and
sprinkle over the 
red peppers.


Finally,
shred some basil leaves
and


sprinkle over the
open sandwiches.

Pop them onto an oval platter
or


if you prefer
a
wooden platter
and
enjoy.

You can also roast the aubergine in the oven, then scoop out the flesh and mash. Sometimes I use this method, it all depends on how much time I have.

Oh yes, just before I go, I wanted to mention a few new things.

Firstly, I have started a Facebook page for Ivy, Phyllis and Me! and you can find it here. I have to tell you it is a learning process for me because currently, I am learning how to create the header for my FB page and also how to add things of interest via my phone.... I am getting there and I hope you will be patient with me. If you have the time, I would love it if you could pay me a visit me.... you would be most welcome.

Secondly, I have added my Pinterest Boards just below my lovely friends on Google +.  I really do love Pinterest as I find so much inspiration there.

..... and thirdly, I have added a recipe page which can be accessed to print the recipes from Ivy, Phyllis and Me!  It will take a little while to add all my recipes as there are almost three years worth, but I hope to have achieved this over the next three or four months.... I think that is being a little optimistic as truthfully, I think it will take longer.

So that is enough about me, (I am being very English), because now I want to tell you how I learnt to add the page to print my recipes. It was from the lovely,

Linda 
who writes the fabulous blog

Linda is such a kind and generous spirit, because not only is she a blog designer, but she shares 'how to' information. I found her step by step information on how to create a ReciPage invaluable.  So if you need your blog to be re-designed or you need information on 'how to' then pop over and visit Linda, I know she would love to see you there.

Take care and I will see you next Thursday.

This week I will be joining,


and


and









No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...