Pages

Wednesday 10 September 2014

CAULIFLOWER RICE

Good Morning to you,


I think you have gathered by now, that I love music.  Not just one type of music but all sorts of music.

If I am feeling a little low, music can lift my spirits.  If I am feeling happy.... well music will enhance that happiness.

.... and I also love to dance.

I have always enjoyed singing, not publicly, well not since I sung in the school choir, but in my own home and George says he can always detect my mood by my choice of music. 

... that is why I love listening to Tony Blackburn's radio show on a Saturday afternoon, as  one week Tony will play music from the 1950's, another week the 1970's then back to the 1960's and so on. It is a fabulous programme because he often plays music, which I had totally forgotten about, but when the music starts playing, I remember all the words..... how can that be, because ask me about something that happened last year, and I can't always remember, but play a record from the 1950's or 1960's and I can sing you all the words.

A few weeks ago now, he played 'The Lights of Cincinnati' sung by Scott Walker and I had quite forgotten the song, and yet when Tony played it on the radio, there I was, singing along with Scott, remembering all the words.  Do you remember when Scott was part of The Walker Brothers.... they were a fabulous group weren't they..... and then he played 'Frozen Orange Juice' by Peter Sarstedt.... well, you could have knocked me down with a feather, because I really had forgotten about that song and yet again, the words were coming out of my mouth.

How about you, do you remember words to songs from years ago? Can a record play, which you had forgotten about, but you find yourself singing all the words?

Well, my mood is mellow today and you will see that when I tell you the music I am playing.

..... but first, I have something interesting for you,


Remember on Sunday, when I made Paneer Tikka Masala, I mentioned that we ate the Tikka Masala with cauliflower rice.... well that is what I am making today..... are you intrigued?

..... but before we start cooking, it's on with the pinnie and the music I am listening to is,



the one and only Frank Sinatra. I could list so many of his songs which I enjoy, but I would be here forever, so I will choose just a few. How about, 'Fly Me To The Moon', 'They Can't Take That Away From Me' or 'Summer Wind'. My fingers are itching to type some more titles, but I must get on.

So with  Frank  serenading me with, 'It Was A Very Good Year'.... so lovely.... I will organise my ingredients.


INGREDIENTS
FOR
CAULIFLOWER RICE

l medium sized head of cauliflower
1 medium sized onion
1 large clove of garlic (optional)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
sea salt 
 freshly ground black pepper

HOW TO MAKE
CAULIFLOWER RICE


Finely chop the onion

and


add a tablespoon of olive oil
to a wide pan.
Add the onions 
and
cook slowly until golden brown.


Grate the garlic.

When the onions are golden brown,
add the garlic 
and cook for a minute.


While the onions are browning,
cut the cauliflower
into


florets
and
wash under cold running water.
Make sure the florets are 
thoroughly dried,
as the cauliflower is going to be cooked
in olive oil and you do not want
any 'spitting and spatting'.


Place a quarter of the florets
 into 
a
food processor and pulse.
Then repeat the process with the rest of the florets.
(I find it is easier to pulse a few at a time)

If you do not have a food processor,
please don't worry,
you can get the same results by using a
sharp knife or as Natasha does, using
a mezzaluna.

When the onions are browned,


add another tablespoon of
olive oil,
add the cauliflower
and mix the ingredients together.


Season with 
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
and stir again.

Place a lid on the pan
and
using a low heat,
  cook for 
6-7 minutes,
stirring every now and then.

You want the cauliflower rice
to have a little crunch to it.


Taste
and if necessary,
add more seasoning.


.....and there you have it,
a nice alternative to
rice.

We love cauliflower rice 
also served with
meat or fish dishes.

Try it and let me know what you think.

There are other ways to make  cauliflower rice, but this is my version and one we enjoy.  Sometimes, if the food accompanying the cauliflower rice is a little bland, then I will spice up the cauliflower rice with chilli flakes.

..... and for those of us who are watching our weight.... this is a nice alternative to rice.

Take care and I will see you on Sunday.

This week I will be joining,

and
and






No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...