Pages

Wednesday 24 October 2012

KNIT ONE, PURL ONE, 1938

Good Morning to you,

I love knitting.

I love to hear the click, clack of knitting needles. I love the way, a ball of wool, which is cast onto  a set of needles, can create something warm and cosy to wear.


My first foray into knitting was when I was seven years old and you've guessed it, Ivy taught me to knit. 

Ivy had a knitting bag full of different coloured wools, which to a young seven year old was very enticing.  Ivy's knitting was always kept in a beautiful cloth bag. One day, I asked what she was doing with the needles  and she showed me what she was making.  When I saw the half knitted jumper, I was smitten. I knew I wanted to make something out of those brightly coloured strands of wool.  I didn't know what, but Ivy helped me decided.

You would think the first thing I knitted would be something straightforward such as a scarf for my doll or a scarf for me. Oh no it was much more adventurous than that.....it was a pair of bed socks which included a pom pom on each bed sock.  Can you imagine how I felt, I was so excited to have my very own pair of bed socks, plus pom poms, I couldn't wait to start.

I chose a dark green colour and Ivy set about casting on the stitches.  I was impatient, I wanted to learn how to cast on, but she said she would show me at a later time as it was difficult. The stitches were cast on and Ivy with great patience taught me how to knit.  There were lots of knit one, drop one, which were unpicked by Ivy, but slowly, slowly I learnt to knit garter stitch. When it was my bed time I asked Ivy if I could take my knitting to bed with me, she said only if I promised not to try to knit in bed as it was time to sleep. I said I wouldn't and so off to bed I went, with  my knitting, which I placed on the bed side table.  It was very dark in Ivy's bedrooms as the windows had black out shades, which were a left over from the war years, so it was pitch black.  I tried to go to sleep, I tried to ignore the knitting, which I was so proud of, but to a young excited seven year old, it was all too much, I couldn't wait to finish those lovely bedsocks, make the pom poms and wear them to bed.  So  I tried to knit in the dark!  As you can imagine when I awoke in the morning I discovered the knitting was a complete mess, but Ivy was very kind to me and unpicked the mess and we started again.  Consequently I wasn't allowed to take my knitting to bed again, but it was a lesson learnt, because I was so disappointed to have lost the knitting that I was so proud of and  also it took me a lot longer to get those lovely bed socks on my feet.

So that was my first foray into knitting which brings me nicely to a book I found many years ago.

By now, you will have realised I love old books. I love owning a book  which someone else has thumbed through many years before me. So on that note.

Let me introduce you to,



Pansy M. Greenacre
Pansy was given  this book
as a gift at Christmas time in 1938.

  


 Mary Thomas's Knitting Book
Printed in March 1938




The first picture is "The Visit of the Angels" by the Master Bertram dated 1390.

This beautiful picture was part of the inside right wing of the Buxtehuder Altar, painted by Master Bertram between the years 1390 and 1400. This originally lived in the Buxtehuder Abbey and would suggest that the homely occupation of knitting was revered and encouraged by the nuns of this abbey.  It is an historical picture and of great interest to knitters, as the artist reveals that knitting then was much as it is today, even to the manner of picking up the stitches and forming the neck of a garment.


A knitted Masterpiece
with initials P.I.E.
Dated 1713

I just cannot imagine the hours and hours which went into this beautiful knitted piece of work . Also as an experienced knitter I have to say the intricacy of this work is astounding.



A s you can see, this is a Prentice Cap, which was knitted and felted.  A few felted woollen caps of early Tudor period are to be seen at the London Museum.



This handsome hat is also a knitted and felted cap but with perforations cut in the fabric. Again from the London Museum .


This is a Knitting Pouch with Hooked Knitting Needles from Landes in France. The earliest knitting needles were made with a hook at one end, like crochet hooks, and these were fashioned of copper wire. Five of these needles made a set.


I could not let this black and white picture pass without explaining who that wonderfully robust man was.   He and his wife were one of the many  Knitters of Gayle from the dales of Yorkshire. They were well known for their knitting. This is a rare picture depicting Gayle knitters of about 1878. The position of the hands indicates that both knitters are using knitting sheaths.The plate is from "Richmondshire" by Edmund Bogg. 


 Now you may wonder what an illustration of a policeman has to do with knitting. Mary Thomas included this sign which as she wrote "This mark is the well known danger signal to travellers and is used throughout this book to indicate points of vital importance where beginners are likely to falter. It should be heeded, and so save a lot of trouble. It's there to say Look out."


CAST-OFF!

Throughout the book their are illustrations like the one above, which add so much humour to the book. These illustrations  were drawn by Miss Margaret Agutter. 

There are many more of these fun illustrations peppered throughout the book, which I will share with you later.

I hope you have had fun taking a glimpse of Pansy's Christmas gift.
So I will "cast off" now.

Take care and I will see you later in the week.
This week I will be joining,


Connie at Family Home and Life

This post, first appeared in Ivy, Phyllis and Me! on 24th October 2012.  I feel sure that you will enjoy being re-acquainted with this lovely 1930's knitting book. The first owner  was Pansy Greenacre who was given this knitting book as a Christmas gift  in 1938. I feel so lucky to be the current owner of this book.
Enjoy.

As Always,





29 comments:

  1. Daphne, what a marvelous post. I love old books and this one is a true treasure ... about something I love to do (knit) and the wonderful illustrations! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon to you, I am so glad you enjoyed the post and that like me you enjoy old books. I have been collecting them for years, buying them from here and there, but I have to say it is getting much harder to do so in recent years. Take care, Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  2. Daphne! I love your writing and your beautiful blog. I saw tha you had joined the French Hen's Nest and finally had a min to check you out. What a delight! Please keep writing and I will keep reading...and I will comment to make sure you know you are appreciated.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda, Thank you so much, what a kind comment, you have made my day. It is wonderful to receive comments from someone who has read my blog and I appreciate everyone who takes the time to do so. It is so nice of you to leave a comment. Have a wonderful day yourself. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  3. Love how you bring old books to the present. It is so neat to see the past of the owner of the book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Afternoon Daniela, I'm so glad you have enjoyed reading the post. I love old books and yes you are right, it's lovely to see the owner's name in the book. Pansy's Christmas would have been much more frugal than present day Christmas, but I bet she absolutely loved her Christmas when she received this book. Enjoy the rest of your day. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  4. Que lindo te ler,Daphne! um beijos,tudo de bom,chica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Afternoon Chica, Thank you for your lovely comment. I'm so pleased you enjoyed this post. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  5. Daphne, this is such an informative post and I am determined to pick up my knitting today! I fully appreciate your fondness for leafing through old books, knowing they were loved by someone else. (The one you sent me is wonderful!)

    I hope you're enjoying your week.

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen, How lovely to hear from you. I had a funny feeling you would enjoy this post, as I spied some knitting in one of your photos. It is wonderful owning a book that someone else has treasured. I'm so pleased that both our daughters enjoy reading books, so the books I have collected over the years will always be in safe hands. Take care and enjoy the rest of your day. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  6. Hi Daphne,
    Thank you so much for your kind visit.
    I have loved my visit with you and your post on knitting was wonderful and so beautifully written. I also knit and remember my first pair of socks I made, they were argyle socks for my Dad! I remember all the threads and learning how to turn a heel...OH My!
    My Dad still has them all wrapped up tucked away in this dresser for safe keeping. He said he would keep them forever and he has.
    I love that you have a heart in your engagement ring. I had a heart diamond neckless that my husband gave to me when I had our first baby. I love hearts too!
    I am now your newest follower and look forward to visiting again.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elizabeth, Thank you so much for becoming a follower. I'm so pleased you enjoyed my post. You are obviously a very talented knitter to have made argyle socks for your dad and I'm not surprised that he loves them. Ivy, my grandmother always used to knit Gramps socks and when the heel needed mending she would use a wooden mushroom to darn the heel. Something we don't do anymore. Fancy you having a heart shaped diamond necklace, we are obviously "birds of a feather". Have a lovely day, and thank you once again. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  7. Hallo Daphne!Thank you for your lovely comment my dear!Fantastic book!Your'e so lucky!I love knitting to!Im making a scarve !Wish you a nice evening!
    Dimi..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kalimara Dimi, I'm so pleased you enjoyed the knitting book. It is really fascinating to read. The weather must be turning colder if you are knitting a scarf, but once the scarf is finished you will be warm and cosy. Have a lovely day. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  8. I remember knitting as a kid. I would have no clue how to even begin now. That book is wonderful! It's charming in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning Gina, I bet if your mum started knitting and you watched it would come back in a flash. It's like riding a bike, you may never ride for years, but when you sit back on the saddle you just know what to do. I'm so pleased you enjoyed reading about Pansy. Have a wonderful day. Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post and all the history. How fun. I use to knit years ago, probably need to pick up those needles again. Great post. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Evening Marty, I'm glad you enjoyed this post about knitting. Go on Marty, pick up those knitting needles again, and I'm sure you will love creating something warm and cosy from a ball of wool. Have a lovely weekend. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  11. THANK YOU FOR YOUR VISIT! So nice to see you. Thanks for the comments about my display and the colors. That means a lot to me. Your collection of books is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Evening Renae, Your welcome, it was so refreshing to see different colours for Halloween, yours definitely stood out from all the other Halloween displays. Thank you for the kind comments about my books. Have a lovely weekend. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  12. Such a lovely blog. I love knitted things, my own Grammy was a knitter. I dabbled with knitting as a child, but never caught on well. I can see that, although we live many miles apart, we have very much in common. I love old books, gardening, sewing, crafting, and cooking. I have 3 beautiful grown daughters, 2 grand daughters, and another baby granddaughter set to arrive in early January. I have become a follower of your blog home, so as to keep in touch.
    I dream of England, and imagine it to be a lovely place. One day, perhaps I shall make the journey.
    Sincerely- Becka

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good Evening Becka, Oh, thank you so much for your kind comments. Yes we certainly do have a lot in common. I have 2 beautiful daughters, but as yet I am not a Grandmother, maybe one day. How lovely to have another baby granddaughter, I bet you are excited about her arrival, not long now. I hope you manage to capture a little bit of England through my blog, as this will give you a "taste" until you are able to visit England yourself. Have a look at my post about York, I think you will enjoy it, as York is a very old city and is steeped in history. Take care and have a lovely weekend. Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a treasure to have such a book and to start knitting at such an early age. I have just recently taught myself and love it but I oh so wish I would have started sooner.

    Have a great weekend and thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Afternoon Debbie, I'm so glad you enjoyed reading about my old Knitting Book. I hadn't thought about being a young age when I started knitting, I think it is because I have enjoyed knitting for so long, it's such a part of my life. When our daughters were small I used to knit all their jumpers. As the saying goes "It's never too late to learn" so well done for teaching yourself to knit, I think that is even harder. Now you have started there will be no stopping you. Have a lovely weekend Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  15. Hi Daphne, I thoroughly enjoyed this post. What a lucky little lady you were to have someone so patiently and lovingly teach you to knit at such a young age. I can just imagine that little 7 year old girl so excited about knitting that she would try to do it in the dark. Would you believe my amazing grandmother, at age 88, taught me to knit long distance via Skype, YouTube, email and phone calls just a few years ago? Some things have changed with time, but some things never will. :) I'm off to read Part II!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do not knit but it is always enjoyable to read and view what others are doing or working on and this post was no exception. I love older books as well so this was quite fun to see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh how delightful! Thank you for taking the time to scan the pictures and post them for us. I've just started to knit. My grandmother taught me to crochet as a child. I'm starting flat--maybe I should just jump into bed socks. What a treasure of memories you have. Thank you for writing them down for us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful find that book is! And a great post. I love all the old artwork, too but the story of you knitting in the dark - that was the best! I think at 7 if I could have taken my sewing machine to bed with me I might have tried! Just stopping by from the Say it Saturday Linky Party. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A girlfriend taught me to knit and crochet in high school. I made beautiful sweaters and matching hats for my sons, and baby blankets and booties for my grandchildren. When my granddaughter was about 5, she asked me to tell her again about how her aunt had suggested that I make her baby blanket a beautiful, deep forest green, because her mother liked that color. She told me,"Yes, that was fine for my mother, but I like pink." So, we went to Michael's and she picked out a variegated pink yarn and I made her a new blanket.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...