Pages

Wednesday 22 August 2012

CHOCOLATE CLOUD CAKE

Good Morning,

Yesterday, Phyllis and I were sitting with our feet up, enjoying our morning tea and coffee (Phyllis had tea and I drank coffee).  We were chatting about this and that, when Phyllis said, "I know what we should do, let's make a cake".  So I thought it would be nice to bake a cake  which she had never made before.....and here it is a Chocolate Cloud Cake.

This cake was introduced to me, by Natasha, who by now, you know is our daughter.  It's a cake that is delicious and looks impressive when the need arises.

The recipe I used is from Nigella Lawson's Cookery Book, Nigella Bites. This cookery book is well used and is looking quite "dog eared" , but that's a good sign as it means I use the recipes all the time. 




THE INGREDIENTS



250g dark chocolate, minimum 70% cocoa solids
125g unsalted butter, softened
6 eggs, 2 whole, 4 separated
175 g caster sugar
grated zest of 1 orange
2 tablespoons of Cointreau (optional)

Butter and line  a 23cm spring form cake tin with baking parchment

Pre-heat the oven 180C/Gas Mark 4 



Looks like I have been licking the bowl! There is no way to photograph this in a neat and tidy way!
I thought it best to show you how it really looks.

Melt the chocolate over
 a saucepan of hot water.

Add the butter and allow to melt
 in the warm chocolate.
  


Beat the 2 whole eggs and 4 egg yolks
 with 75g of the caster sugar.

 Gently add the grated orange,




 the chocolate mixture and 
Cointreau if using
 and mix. 




In another bowl, whisk the 4 egg whites
 until foamy, then gradually
 add the 100g of sugar and whisk
 until the whites are holding their shape,
 but not too stiff.


Lighten the chocolate mixture
 with 2 tablespoons of the egg whites,
 then gently fold in the rest of the whites. 


Pour into the prepared tin
 and bake for 35-40 minutes
 or until the cake is risen
 and the centre is no longer wobbly. 



Don't worry that the cake is cracked as this is how it should look. Cool the cake in it's tin on a wire rack.  You will find the middle sinks as it cools.


  
Sorry, forgot to show you the chocolate.... no I didn't eat it! honestly!

THE CREAM TOPPING

500ml double cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
grated chocolate  



Do you see the television in the top right hand corner, I could say we were listening to a music channel whilst baking.
But in actual fact Phyllis was watching a zumba cd.....yes I did say a zumba cd whilst the cake was cooling and doing her version of the moves! 


When you are ready to eat the cake, place the still tin-bound cake on a cake stand or plate for serving and carefully remove the cake from it's tin.  Don't worry about the cracks and rough edges.

Whip the cream until it is soft
 and then add the vanilla extract,
 continue whisking until the cream is firm,
 but not too stiff.




Fill the sunken part of the cake with cream. Phyllis
was my extra pair of hands and she spooned on the cream for me.

And finally, sprinkle the cream liberally with grated chocolate.



 Doesn't it look fabulous.  Of course the cloud part of the cake is the cream on top.




I've shown you a photograph of the cake sliced so that you can see the baking parchment.  The cake is so fragile I had to leave it on the base, as I have not found a way of removing it without spoiling the cake.  If anyone has any idea how to remove it I would love to know.  Just to say I can't turn it onto another plate as the top would be crushed and  spoilt.




And there we have it, a delicious cake. 

We allowed it to cool, which was very hard to do, then each of us had a slice with a cup of coffee and we sat in the garden with a smile  of sweet satisfaction on our faces.....what a nice way to spend a day.

This week I shall be joining,



So until next time, take care.







24 comments:

  1. The cake looks incredible. I laughed at your confession that a Zumba CD was playing; what a counterpoint for all of the chocolate and cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen, I could say that I realised that all the chocolate and cream in the cake was being balanced by the zumba..... mmm ....but I would be lying. Phyllis doesn't realise she is almost 82, she is 21 at heart
      and long may she stay that way. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  2. Hello! Must try this, I love Nigella! I'm visiting you from Savvy Southern Style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Kristen, please do try this recipe as it really is easy but looks fabulous. Because dark chocolate is used with 75% cocoa solids, it really isn't too sweet. Let me know how you get on. So glad you visited my blog. Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Daphne :)
    This cake looks so good, I have to give it a try. I never done any of Nigella's recipes, but now after seeing this cake I'm interested in buying her book ! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, I'm going to print this page !
    Jocelyne from Quebec, Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jocelyne....what a lovely name. I do hope you enjoy making this cake and how wonderful that you are going to buy Nigella's recipe book. Nigella is a favourite with my daughter Natasha aswell. The book you need is Nigella Bites and the recipe is on Page 110. Enjoy baking this cake. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  5. Hi Daphne :)
    This cake looks so good, I have to give it a try ! I never did any of Nigella's recipes but after seeing this cake I'm now interested in buying her book ! Thank you for sharing this recipe, I'm going to print this page !
    Jocelyne from Quebec, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My Goodness this looks heavenly! I'm hoping to try your recipe to share with a dear friend who is originally from England but now lives here in the US (Illinois) near me! I'm delighted to have found you! Best, Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kimberly, thank you for your kind words. I think your friend will love this recipe, it is easy and looks very impressive when served. Let me know what your friend thinks of the cake. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  7. What a great blog... I am going to love visiting your other posts but am at work and have to finish up.... I am your newest follower from across the ocean. This cake looks wonderful and your pictures are great.... I really love the pictures that you have the little child picture in ~ makes me smile. My blog is http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com/ and I am just starting a second one called
    http://thisandthatpictures.blogspot.com. Have a wonderful day! Marlys

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sure looks good. I hope next time you add a link back to my party. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon Kim, oops have I made a mistake, sorry, not sure how to link back to your party. I followed the steps required to be part of your party and thought I'd completed the information correctly. I'm a new blogger and I know there is a lot I have to learn. Perhaps you could let me know how to link back to you. Apologies again. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  9. Hello Marlys, thank you so much for becoming a follower, I find it is wonderful when someone has taken the time to read my blog and to leave a comment, so again thank you so much. Gosh that photo was taken so long ago when you could only take black and white photos. It was taken with an old square brownie box. I shall be visiting your blogs later in the week as tomorrow Phyllis is going home, so I need to spend every minute possible with her. Take care, Best Wishes, Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that you posted this recipe on Foodie Friends Friday... and the picture of the little boy brought a smile to my face again ~~ I just love it! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and if you would please link this recipe back to us. I am going to share this recipe on my facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Marlys, oops I think I made a mistake! On Wednesday I posted a Carrot/Walnut Cake, and said that I was linking back to Foodie Friends Friday, but then decided to put the Chocolate Cloud Cake on Foodie Friends Friday, I realise now, this didnot have a link shown, I thought as long as the link was shown on my blog it would be ok. I'm sorry for the mistake. Can you advise me, can I edit the chocolate cloud post, even though it has been published to show the link? Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like a delicious! And I love that photo of the little boy smiling! So adorable. Thank you for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday! Please come back on Sunday to VOTE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lois, I have voted....it was very hard to choose as all the food looked lovely. Thank you for your kind words. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  13. oh my! This looks incredible. Thanks for bringing it to Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tracy, Your welcome...I love a good baked cake, don't you. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  14. Your cake sounds wonderful! My awesome son-in-law loves the flavor of chocolate and orange and I have saved your link for his birthday in July. Don't know if I can wait to try it until then. May have to make a test cake! Just stopping by from the Say it Saturday Linky Party. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so good! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  16. Daphne, I will feature this today at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a divine looking chocolate cake. Yum! I can't wait to try this.
    I am a new GFC and I will pin this.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Bev
    @ Eclectic Red Barn

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...