Pages

Thursday 30 April 2015

PASTA WITH ROASTED RED PEPPER SAUCE

Good Morning to you,

I love Tuesdays


..... because it is the day our sewing group meets. After a lovely morning spent catching up with each other and sharing our sewing projects, three or four of us head for the charity shops, to see what little treasures are waiting to be found and this Tuesday was no exception.

After visiting three other shops with no luck, my final port of call was the 'Mind Shop'. I was scanning the books and looking for any titles which would jump out at me, when I discovered a book called The Real 'Dad's Army', The War Diaries of Colonel Rodney Foster. I knew straight away that I had to buy the book as I knew George would love it.

The reason I knew George would love the book, is because there is also a 1970's comedy series, called 'Dad's Army' which George loves. He watches the re-runs whenever they are shown on the television,  I swear George must have seen the series so many times that if asked, he could probably recite every word to you. 

Now here's the thing, when I find a book which I take a fancy to, I do not just pick up the book and read the cover information, I like to open the book and read the first couple of pages, to see if I can get a feel for the book. In this case I by-passed the first few pages which were maps and the introduction, because I knew I could read those pages later.... I went straight to Friday 1 September, 1939 and the paragraph began,

'Daphne's birthday.  Phyllis out to a board meeting in the afternoon and I had my usual afternoon with my father-in-law.  In the evening we sat in our blacked-out house.  Very stuffy, inconvenient and depressing.'

Well I never, you can imagine my surprise. What are the chances of both the names, Phyllis and Daphne appearing in a book, not just in a book but also on the same page.

At first I was not sure who Phyllis and Daphne were, but then, after further reading, I discovered that Rodney had married Phyllis in 1910, so Phyllis was Rodney's wife and three years later, in 1913, their daughter was born and yes, her name was Daphne. 

.... so just like (Ivy), Phyllis and Me, Phyllis is the mother and Daphne is the eldest daughter.

How marvellous.

I need to investigate further.  What are the chances that the name Ivy will appear in the book.... mmm I wonder, I can't wait to find out.

I am really looking forward to reading these diaries, as in 1910, Ivy, my grandmother, would have been about 9 or 10 years old and I am fascinated to see what life was like back then,  but I will have to wait in line.... after all I did buy the book for George.

So it's on with the pinnie and today, we are making,


Pasta with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce, which is so easy and relatively quick to make.

So while I organise my ingredients, I have a fabulous album for you to listen to,


the lovely Barbara Dickson.  Parcel of Rogues is a such a good album.  I first came across Barbara in the 1970's when she sang, 'Answer Me'.

Listen to,

Van Diemen's Land
My Johnny was a Shoemaker
Fine Flowers in the Valley

you will thoroughly enjoy each song.

So whilst I listen to 'Sule Skerry'.... no singing along today, as I love just listening to this album, I will organise my ingredients.

INGREDIENTS
YOU 
WILL NEED
TO
MAKE
PASTA WITH 
ROASTED RED PEPPER SAUCE

400g jar (drained weight) Roasted Red Peppers
1 large onion
2 cloves of garlic
400g tinned tomatoes
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 teaspoon of sugar
sea salt
2 tablespoons of olive oil
3/4 pint of chicken stock
handful of basil leaves
100g of Feta cheese

PASTA

250g fusilli pasta

HOW TO MAKE
PASTA
 WITH
ROASTED RED PEPPER SAUCE



Finely chop the onion.


Place the olive oil into a wide pan
and 
add the chopped onions.

Cook until translucent.


Grate the garlic
and 
add to the pan.
Cook for a minute.


Add the dried oregano
and
dried chilli flakes
and
cook for a minute.


Add the tomato paste
to the pan
and stir,
cook for 2 minutes.


Chop the tomatoes
and add to the pan.

Stir the ingredients together.


Add the
sugar
and
stir.


Add 
the
chicken stock
and 
stir.


Drain and slice the 
roasted red peppers
and 
add to the pan.

Bring to the boil,
reduce the heat.
Place a lid on the pan
and
simmer for 20 minutes.

Check after 15 minutes that the sauce is
not too thick. 
If it is reducing too quickly,
add a little more chicken stock.

While the sauce is cooking.

THE PASTA

Bring a pan of salted water to the boil
and
cook as directed on the packet.
Cook
the pasta until it is al dente (with a bite)

Drain the water.

THE SAUCE

When the sauce is cooked,
place a third into a food blender
and blitz
until the sauce is smooth.


Repeat the process 
until all the sauce is smooth.

Check for seasoning, if salt is required
add now.

Return the roasted red pepper sauce
to the pan
and
add the drained pasta.
Toss everything together
until the
pasta is thoroughly coated.


Shred the basil leaves
and add to the spaghetti.
Toss together.


Add the feta cheese
and
enjoy!

I know you will.

I add feta cheese because I love the sharpness it gives to the dish, but if you prefer you can add shavings of Parmesan cheese.

If you would prefer to roast your own peppers, then I have shown you how to do it  here.  Often during the summer time, when there is an abundance of peppers, I will roast my own, but I also keep jars of roasted peppers in my store cupboard for when I want to make a quick meal.

The house is quiet, it's raining and George has gone for a swim, so it's the perfect time to borrow his book The Real 'Dad's Army, to see if I can find Ivy's name ..... fingers crossed.

Take care and I will see you on Thursday.

This week I will be joining,



and















No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...