Pages

Saturday 13 October 2018

DAPHNE GETTING UP TO DATE WITH TEXTING

Good Afternoon to you,


I was talking to George the other day, about the fact that there are so many text abbreviations I do not understand.

For instance 'lol'.... it took me an age to discover that the letters stood for 'laugh out loud'.... how had this happened, why had this passed me by..... and when did 'haha' become 'lol'. 

Back in the days when I wrote letters and I wanted to write something funny, I would always finish the sentence with 'haha'.... making sure the recipient of the letter realised I was being funny, but it seems 'haha' is now obsolete and has been replaced with 'lol'.

.... and who is the person, who has brought me up to date with texting lingo.... someone of my age?  I'm afraid not, it is George's young nephew who when I asked if he knew what 'haha' stood for, said he hadn't a clue  and he thought it was so funny that I did not know what 'lol' meant, because apparently it had been around forever.... this coming from an 11 year old.... forever seemed an odd word to use (haha) .... sorry, I couldn't help myself.

So he decided to test my knowledge, which as you can tell by now, is pretty limited.

Here goes, wish me luck.

BTW ~ 'By the way' ~ nope,
I had no idea.

How about IDK ~ nope, I failed again. Apparently it stands for 'I Don't Know'.

Would I fare any better with TTYL ~ Those of you who are old enough to remember the Jimmy Young Show on Radio 2, will remember Jimmy saying goodbye with the initials TTFN ~ 'Ta Ta For Now'. It sounded so similar, but I couldn't imagine youngsters still saying Ta Ta. So I thought long and hard, as this was becoming embarrassing. How about 'Text those you love'.... I thought that was pretty good.... can you tell I was clutching at straws, trying to save face.  I shouldn't have bothered, I should have just given in gracefully,  because really, this was becoming embarrassing.  You may be surprised to learn that 'Text those you love' was totally wrong, the initials stand for 'Talk to you later'..... I know, I know, I really should have worked that one out.

....and finally... BRB ~ Be right back. By now I feel sure you will see  a pattern emerging and you will not be surprised to learn, that I didn't know this one either.

At which point George's nephew decided to give up on me, because my knowledge of texting was certainly below par, actually if there is anything below par, then that is what I scored, as  I scored a big round zero.

So it got me thinking about abbreviations which I used when I was young.

Do you remember,


writing the letters S.W.A.L.K on the back of envelopes which were sent to your boyfriend.

.... even more, do you remember what the letters stood for?  If you are of a certain age, then I feel sure you will remember,

the letters stood for, 
'Sealed with a loving kiss'

Or how about,


H.O.L.L.A.N.D
no, not the country,
but
Hope Our Love Lasts and Never Dies

I used to think George was so romantic when he sent me letters with H.O.L.L.A.N.D. written on the back of the envelope.

.... and my most favourite and one we have used as a couple for the past 50 years is,


'381'.  These numbers have driven our daughters crazy for years, because we have not told them what they mean.  Of course they have asked, but we just smile and say nothing. To be honest we always thought that they would discover the meaning, but do you know they never have. So finally, after all the years of asking, they are going to find out today.  '381' means 3 words..... I love you..... 8 letters ~ I love you and 1 meaning ~ I love you.

I wonder if I tested George's nephew, would he know their meaning.

Of course not, life has moved on and I feel sure when he reaches my age, he will probably feel the same as I do because technology is moving so fast.

.... but you never know, he might have a lovely nephew, who in the future, will help him, as much as he has helped me.

Take care and I will see you next week.

As Always,






No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...