Pages

Saturday 26 May 2018

A POSTCARD FROM DAPHNE

Good Morning to you,

Are you busy?


Do you have a few minutes to spare? 

I would love it, if you could join me, in a stroll around my garden. 

We have enjoyed so much sunshine in the past few weeks, that the garden is romping away. The change is so dramatic, that I would love to share the changes with you.

For instance,


last time we walked around the garden, these Alliums were tightly formed buds.... and look at them now. They are proud and standing to attention, and the colour purple is beautiful.


.... and the ferns, which were little curls waiting to unfold are now filling their allotted space in the garden.


I am so pleased that this standard lilac, which I created, using a stem, from my father-in-law's lilac tree, has survived the move.  Not as many flowers as I'd hope, but I feel sure, that next year it will be well and truly settled in its new home and in years to come, it will gift me with many flowers.... we gardeners just have to be patient.


I decided to plant my centre piece this week.  The plants are young, but even after a few days, the sunshine has encouraged the flowers to open.  Around the centre piece I have planted lavender, now I grant you, it does look a little bare, but in a couple of years time, the lavender will increase in size and fill the circle.  When planting a new garden, as tempting as it is, to fill every available space, it's best to err on the side of, less is more, to give larger  plants the space they need to grow.


I am so pleased with how the Cypress trees have settled in.   As you can see by the lumpy soil, I have a lot of clay in my garden, which is a bit of a devil to dig, but on a more positive note, the roses loves clay soil.


These Dicentra have travelled very well.  I started with a few bulbs, but they were really slow to increase and I had practically given up hope, but since I have moved house and planted them under the Weilega, they seem much happier.


I really must treat Daphne to a plinth, because where ever I place her, a plant grows, which hides her lovely face.  The weather today is really warm, so as you can see the foxglove is drooping a little.  I have to say I am surprised because we had a lot of rain yesterday afternoon.


Isn't this peony lovely. I had read somewhere, that peonies hate to be moved, well I have to say, this peony didn't seem to mind at all.  Whilst the peony waited to be planted, we made sure we kept it well watered and look at her now, isn't she looking gorgeous. I call her a 'she' because with those big, blousey flowers, I feel this peony, can only be described as a 'she'.


The white bells and blue bells are finishing and the foxgloves and geraniums are taking over.  I am thrilled with this border, as it is exactly how I had imagined it.


.... and finally, my little flute player, needs to be moved a little further forward, otherwise, very shortly, he will be enveloped by the shrub.

I do hope you have enjoyed your stroll around the garden, as I am thrilled with how the garden is evolving.

I am also very proud of both George and I, for what we have achieved in the past year.  When I remember how the garden looked, when we first moved to the house, it is hard to imagine that it is the same garden.... all our hard work is really paying dividends.

.... and what am I doing for the rest of the day.  Well, the sun is shining, so I am going into the garden to hoe those pesky weeds, which are relentless.

So take care and I will catch up with you next Saturday.

As Always,





No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...