Pages

Thursday 14 January 2016

PARSNIP SOUP WITH A TOUCH OF CURRY

Good Morning to you,


On Monday morning I went about my usual routine.

I opened the shutters, put the kettle on, then switched on the radio, to hear a David Bowie record playing, then another and then another.... which I thought was very strange.

When the final record finished playing, the radio broadcaster went on to say, what an utter shock it was, that the music icon, David Bowie, had passed away, at the age of 69 years.

I was shocked as well and I felt very sad, but I'm not sure why, after all, I never knew David, he was not someone who was close to me, so why the sadness. 

On reflection, I think it was because I have enjoyed his music on and off throughout the years.  He was unique. He was not afraid to change, to re-invent himself, as he did so many times. 

In the early '70s, when he became Ziggy Stardust, fans, both male and female, used to go to his concerts dressed up as Ziggy.  The hair, the makeup and the clothes were so distinctive. If you saw someone with a lightening bolt painted on their face, you knew that he was a fan of David's. I think his style showed people that it was alright to be individual, it was ok to be different, that we don't all have to be the same. It's fine to be just who you are.

When David gave his final performance as Ziggy Stardust, I remember fans were heartbroken.  Here was a man who was riding high with his alter ego, but he wasn't afraid to let him go.

I remember Phyllis saying when her music idols passed away, how sad she was, and being young I never really understood, but I do now.  

I thank, with all my heart, the incredibly talented singers and musicians, who on a daily basis, enrich our lives with their wonderful music and lyrics.

.... and whether you are a David Bowie fan or not, there is sadness, knowing someone has passed, who, touched so many lives and brightened so many days.

So 'Let's Dance' while we make,


Parsnip soup with a touch of curry. The curry powder adds a little zing and along with turmeric, lifts this soup from being a little pale and uninteresting, to more colourful and interesting.... a little like Ziggy Stardust.

So it's on with the pinnie, and quite honestly, there is only one man's music I can play today and of course that is,


David Bowie.  I downloaded Let's Dance today, so along with the other 29,317,954 people 'Let's Dance' even if it is only for the duration of this song.

So while I dance my own personal dance, I will gather my ingredients.

INGREDIENTS
YOU WILL
NEED
TO MAKE
PARSNIP SOUP
 WITH A TOUCH OF CURRY

Serves 6

750g  parsnips
2 large leeks
2 medium sized potatoes
1 level teaspoon of turmeric
1 level tablespoon of curry powder
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 litre of chicken stock
sea salt
black pepper

HOW 
TO MAKE
PARSNIP SOUP 
WITH A TOUCH OF CURRY


Slice the leeks,
wash
and drain.


Pour
the olive oil into a medium sized saucepan
and 
add the sliced leeks.
Make sure the leeks are dried
otherwise they will spit and spatter.
Using a low heat
cook until soft.


Whilst the leeks are cooking,
peel and cube 
the potatoes
and set aside for the moment.


Peel and cube
the parsnips
and again 
set aside for the moment.


When the leeks have softened,
add the
curry powder
and


the
turmeric
and stir for a minute.
Be careful with the turmeric
because it will stain.

When you can smell the spices,
add
the
cubed parsnips
and the
cubed potatoes
and stir until everything is coated.


Add 
the chicken stock
and 
stir the ingredients together.
Bring to the boil
and then
place a lid on the pan
and simmer
for
30 minutes
or until the vegetables are soft.

Using a handheld blender,
blitz the soup until it becomes smooth.


Season with
sea salt
and freshly ground black pepper.

Ladle into your favourite soup bowl,
(the following is optional)
add a tablespoon or so of cream
and some
little croutons


and 
just
enjoy.

Now when you blitz the soup, you will find it might be a little too thick, don't worry, there are a couple of options. You can thin the soup with a little more stock, or, you can add milk or cream.  On the occasions where I have added milk, I found that it gave a creamier flavour.

Soup is a perfect winter meal and I always make enough so that I can freeze a couple of portions, hence the fact that this recipes serves six. It makes life easier, on those very busy days, which we all have, I can take the soup from my freezer and with the snap of my fingers, I have a quick and easy lunch on the table in no time.

Take care and I will see you next Thursday.

This week I will be joining,


and


As always,








No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...