Pages

Thursday 9 April 2015

ROASTED GARLIC

Good Morning to you,

Well I never, I really can't believe it.


Do you remember last week, I mentioned that I was looking forward to sitting in the garden, with my face turned towards the  warm sunshine?

Well, the 'weather fairy' granted my wish, as this past week we have enjoyed some lovely sunshine. We really have had the most unseasonal weather.... not that I am complaining, as I have been out in the garden every day.

On Easter Monday, the sun was glorious. There was not a hint of the cold north east wind, which we experience quite a lot here .... the sky was blue, the sun shone and it was glorious.

Unlike the previous Monday, when the rain fell, the north east wind blew and it was so very cold.

..... and why did the previous Monday stick in my mind, well, it was my birthday and we had visited Dobbies garden centre, to buy some clematis plants and roses, but it was so cold in the outdoor part of the garden centre, that dressed in our coats, hats and scarves we whizzed around very quickly.... luckily I knew exactly which plants I wanted as I had gone armed with a list of plants.  If I had gone to just take a look at what was on offer, then I would have walked away with nothing at all.

.... but that is the English weather for you.... freezing cold one week and lovely and warm the next.  We have this high until Friday, so I am going to enjoy being in the garden.  I have to tell you my body aches and I am quite tired from doing so much digging, separating of plants and planting..... but it is a good tiredness and when I see my accomplishments, I feel so very happy..... I adore gardening. 

I think I have mentioned in previous summers, that when the weather warms up, you will always find me in the garden and cooking tends to be a little low key.  That is why, today, I am,


roasting garlic.  It is so easy to pop into the oven and I can leave it to work it's magic without any help from me.

So it's on with the pinnie and the music I am listening to today, is,



the most wonderful Barbara Joan Streisand.  I have had this album for years, I think since the early 1970's..... gosh is it that old.

Listen to and enjoy,


Since I Fell For You
or
I Never Meant To Hurt You
or
The Summer Knows

So while I listen to 'You've Got A Friend' .... I do love this song, I need to gather my ingredients... if you could see me, you would know that I have a smile on my face... because ingredients is not the correct word. You will see why in a moment.

INGREDIENTS
YOU
WILL NEED
TO
ROAST GARLIC

2 large heads of garlic
Olive oil to drizzle 

Pieces of tin foil to wrap each
head of garlic

a loaf tin

Pre-heat the oven to 200c

HOW TO 
ROAST GARLIC


Gently remove the outer papery layers
from the garlic bulb,
but do not remove the 
skin from the garlic cloves.


Using a sharp knife
cut about a 1/4" from the top
of the garlic, so that you
can see the tops of the garlic cloves.


Cut the tin foil into squares.
The size is dependent on the size
of the garlic bulbs used.
My tin foil was 7" by 7".


Place a garlic bulb
in the centre of the tin foil

and


drizzle with


olive oil.


Wrap the garlic bulb
in the tin foil
and 
repeat the process
for subsequent garlic bulbs.


Place the wrapped garlic bulbs
into a loaf tin
(I find this the perfect size)
and
roast for 1 hour 15 minutes.
I tend to check after 50 minutes
of cooking, and then every 10 minutes
after that.

You will know when the garlic is cooked
as the centre clove will be soft.
To check this I use a pointed knife to
gently pierce the centre clove.

You want the bulbs to be golden in colour.

When ready, remove the garlic heads 
from the oven, fold back the tin foil
 and allow to cool.


When removing the garlic bulbs
from the tin foil,
you will find a little olive
oil left in the bottom of the tin foil.
I set the olive oil aside and use it
with the garlic.

To extract the garlic, you can either
squeeze the whole garlic bulb
to remove the garlic,
or
detach each bulb
and squeeze.... a little more fiddly,
but it works.

I did not dress the garlic bulbs, because I wanted you to see the roasted garlic in all it's glory.  Now it may not look like a thing of beauty, but trust me, you will love the mellow flavour which roasting the garlic bulb brings. 

Incase you are looking for inspiration on how to use the roasted garlic.  I boiled some spaghetti, tossed the garlic through the cooked spaghetti, with the olive oil left in the bottom of the tin foil parcels and grated over some Parmesan cheese.... it was a quick and delicious supper.

You can also mix the roasted garlic with mayonnaise and spread on toasted bread or crackers.

You can also add to mash potatoes.  The uses are endless and the other positive thing is that garlic is so very good for you.

If you are not a lover of garlic, don't dismiss this roasted garlic out of hand, as when roasted, you will not experience the pungent flavour associated with raw garlic. Roasting the garlic bulb transforms the garlic into a mild flavour, the flavour is the exact opposite of raw garlic.

George and I liken our personalities to garlic .... romantic aren't we.... George is the raw, pungent, down to earth garlic and I am the delicate, mild roasted garlic...... I think we have been married too long.... what do you think?

I am now going to put on my gardening cloggs, make a cup of coffee, sit in the sunshine for ten or so minutes then carry on with the gardening.

mmm, what am I going to make for supper tonight, that allows me to spend more time in the garden. I will think about that while I am planting.

Oh yes, before I put on my gardening cloggs, I wanted to mention, I am sorry I have not answered your comments, but I promise I will this week.  I know you will understand, because what is the saying..... 'make hay while the sun shines'..... well I have certainly been doing that.

Take care and I will see you next Thursday.

This week I will be joining,


and










No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...