Pages

Sunday 21 September 2014

CHOCOLATE MUFFINS

Good Morning to you,


For those of my friends, who have been reading my blog for a little while, you will know about my love affair with chocolate. I have to tell you, it cannot be just any old chocolate, it has to be a good quality chocolate.

We all have our favourite chocolate and of course there are many different types of chocolate available, German, French, Belgian, Swiss and Dutch chocolate are amongst my favourites, oh yes and I must not forget Spanish drinking chocolate, if you have never enjoyed the experience of Spanish drinking chocolate, then you really must add this to your list of things to try.

I am being honest when I say, I find, eating one square of good quality chocolate is much more satisfying than eating a couple of squares of cheaper chocolate.

....but there is an exception.  What is it about Nutella.... I just love it. I came very late to the joys of Nutella, I never imagined I would like it, but when I tried it, I found I loved it. Sometimes I will spread Nutella onto toasted date and walnut bread, and with the addition of a small coffee, it tastes fabulous.

So what do you think we are making today,


you will not be surprised to hear that it is something with a dash of chocolate. I am making chocolate muffins today, but with a little something added in the centre.... Nutella.... well a girl can never have enough chocolate.

So without further ado, it's on with the pinnie, and the music I am listening to today is,


the Dixie Chicks. Listen to 'Ready to Run', 'Cold Day in July, and 'Good Bye Earl'.

With 'Good Bye Earl' playing, it is time to organise my ingredients.

INGREDIENTS
FOR
CHOCOLATE MUFFINS

Makes 10 large muffins

175g unsalted butter
125g plain chocolate 
(70-80% cocoa solids)
50g dark brown sugar
200g caster sugar
125g plain flour
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
4 eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
12 teaspoons of Nutella


HOW TO MAKE
CHOCOLATE MUFFINS

Pre-heat the oven to 180C


Place 10 large muffin cases
into a muffin tin.
(The red muffin cases are because I did
not want to leave the two centre
muffin holes empty)


Using a bain marie,
or a bowl over a pan of simmering water.

Place
the



butter
and
the


chocolate into
the bowl
and
gently melt,
stirring when the chocolate and butter melt.

When melted
transfer the chocolate mixture into a large
mixing bowl
and


stir in the brown sugar
and
the


caster sugar.


Whisk the eggs


with the
vanilla essence
and
add a little at a time to the
chocolate mixture.
When the ingredients are thoroughly mixed,


sift the flour
and
the


cocoa powder

and


gently fold into the mixture.

Place a tablespoon of the
mixture into each muffin case
and
add


1 teaspoon of Nutella into the centre.

Divide the rest
of the chocolate mixture
equally 
between the muffin cases,
so that the Nutella
is covered with the chocolate mixture.

Bake for 25-30 minutes.


You can enjoy your
chocolate muffin
dusted with a little
icing sugar

or
as we sometimes do,
with


with a little
stem ginger.

If eaten warm the Nutella is soft, but if the muffins are eaten cold, the Nutella is firmer,  which is just as lovely.

Do you know how I eat my muffin?  I peel off the paper case, cut the muffin into quarters, divide the stem ginger between the four quarters.  This way I know I am not getting too much Nutella, but just enough with each bite.

.... and I always enjoy chocolate with a strong cup of coffee.

Take care and I will see you on Wednesday.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...