Pages

Wednesday 23 July 2014

TOMATO AND PEPPER SALAD

Good Morning to you,

Are you a dreamer?


I don't mean are you are the sort of person who sits and day dreams, I just wondered if you are a person who dreams and then are able to recall those dreams?

Ordinarily, I am not able to recall dreams..... I'm not sure what that says about me.  I'm not sure if I should be able to recall my dreams, so I was surprised to wake up the other morning, being able to recount a dream from start to finish.

Let me begin at the beginning.  I have had something on my mind for a long time..... something I needed to face..... something that I needed to sort out, but I kept putting it to the back of my mind and delaying the inevitable. I  thought that if the problem was given time, it would resolve itself.  Well of course that never happens does it.... when there is a problem it has to be sorted out, otherwise it all becomes too upsetting..... so, I faced the problem, as difficult as it was,  and do you know, I felt a whole lot better.

That very night, when I slept, I dreamt and the amazing thing is, when I awoke  the next morning, I could recall every detail of the dream.

The dream started with me on my own, in the middle of the night.  I was wearing a dress and a cardigan and I was riding a motor bike.  I was in a hurry to get home, and I was driving down a road, I have not driven on, for what must be 35 years.

I was half way home, when what I can only describe as 'little beasties' were trying to jump onto my motor bike, I could not see them properly as it was pitch black. I could only see the light straight ahead of me, which came from my headlight. I did not stop driving, as I knew I had to get home. I just kept swishing them off the bike and with each swish came a sense of relief.  I was not afraid of the dark, I was not afraid of the 'little beasties'. Each one that tried to get onto my motor bike, I just swished off, as if I was swishing a fly.  Finally after much swishing, they were gone, the 'little beasties' had given up and I continued home.  I remember feeling such a sense of freedom and elation.

When I woke up, I recounted the dream to George and he was as surprised as I was, because only now and again can I recall a dream. I can recall fragments, but not the whole dream. Even when I recounted the dream to George, I felt a sense of freedom. The decision I had made was a hard decision, but it was the right decision, for me.

I can remember three complete dreams which I have had in my life, and yes lots of fragments of dreams, but I wonder do you ever recall your dreams?

Do you remember fragments, which don't really make much sense, or do you remember complete dreams?

Talking of dreams, I have something today which can be described as a dream, because it is a dream to make.


A Tomato and Pepper Salad with olives and Halloumi cheese. Don't let the few ingredients deceive you, as this little salad is bursting with flavour and with the abundance of tomatoes and peppers, it is the perfect time of  year, to enjoy this salad.

So, it's on with the pinnie, and the music I am listening to today is,


Gord's Gold, the fabulous album by the Canadian singer, Gordon Lightfoot.  I could listen to his voice all day long.  There are many songs which I could list, but for now, you will enjoy 'If You Could Read My Mind' and 'Sundown'.  I just know you will recognise those two songs.

So whilst I am listening to and singing along with, 'Summerside of Love' I will organise my ingredients.

INGREDIENTS

THE SALAD

Serves:  4

4 large tomatoes
3 red peppers
24 green olives
250g Halloumi cheese

THE DRESSING

80ml of olive oil
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon of grated lemon rind
1 clove of garlic
1 tablespoon of chives
1 tablespoon of fresh basil leaves
and
1 small jar with a lid

HOW TO MAKE 
TOMATO AND PEPPER SALAD

FIRST THING TO DO
is
Roast the peppers and remove the skins.
Allow to cool
and


slice.
Set aside for the moment.

THE DRESSING


Place the olive oil,


lemon juice,


grated lemon rind,


grated garlic,


chopped chives

and


torn basil leaves
into
a


jam jar.
Replace the lid
and


shake
for a few minutes.

Set aside for the moment.


Slice the tomatoes.

Decide which plates you are going to 
use..... I tend to use white plates
as these ingredients look spectacular
when served on a white plate.



Arrange the sliced tomatoes,


the roasted peppers


and
the olives
onto four plates.


Pour over half of the dressing.

NOW IT IS TIME 
TO COOK
THE 
HALLOUMI CHEESE


Slice the Halloumi Cheese.

Heat a wide pan.
Place the Halloumi cheese into the pan.

At first, you will find a milky residue
will appear in the pan, but don't worry,
once the milky residue has cooked out,
the Halloumi will start to brown.

Keep checking as you want the Halloumi
to be a golden brown. 

When one side is browned, turn the Halloumi cheese
over and brown the other side.


Place one or two pieces of
Halloumi Cheese over the salad.

Pour over the remaining
dressing.

Eat with some good crusty bread
and you will
have a fabulous lunch.

George loves mopping up the juices with
his bread.

You might be wondering why I left the Halloumi cheese until last to cook.  It is a preference of mine, I love Halloumi cheese, when it is warm as it has a soft texture.  Left to become cold and it tends to have a rubbery texture..... a texture I don't enjoy.... but one which George does.  So it is all down to personal preference.

Also there is no salt in this dish as Halloumi cheese is salty, as are the olives. So salt is not required.

Please don't be deceived by this salads simplicity, as these few ingredients make for a lovely lunch. I always have roasted peppers in the fridge during the summer time, so this salad really does not take long to make.

Oh yes, before I go, I thought I would mention..... I have never driven a motorbike in my life, but as a teenager, I rode pillion on a friend's motorbike..... the sun was shining and we rode along a deserted, sandy beach in Cyprus..... I can remember  the overwhelming sense of freedom I felt.

mmm, that is interesting.... I have discovered the link to the motorbike ..... I haven't thought about that day for many a year.

Take care and I will see you on Sunday.

This week I will be joining,


and






No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...