Pages

Wednesday 19 March 2014

POTATO OMELETTE

Good Morning to you,


I am quite a simple girl, when it comes my kitchen tools.  

I have a very old  Prestige  knife which I use for chopping.  The handle probably has seen better days, but I don't mind, as it feels comfortable to use.  George keeps it nice and sharp for me, so it slices through onions, as if it were slicing through butter.  You might have noticed him (yes I call my Prestige knife a "him")  in the odd photograph or two.

I then have my small "no named" knife which I use for peeling. Again, I have owned this little black handled knife for years. I follow in Phyllis' footsteps as she has a small peeling knife which she has also used for years..... no vegetable peelers for us.... as peeling is an art, which we  have both mastered over time.  

...... and now, there is a new kid in town..... my new white gizmo. It finely slices, and it has attachments which can create a multitude of other shapes...... but I have never used it..... until today.

Because today, I am going to make a,


Potato Omelette for our lunch.  This Omelette does use quite a lot of sliced potatoes, which normally, I would par-boil, slice and then fry in butter and olive oil.

..... but not today.  I am venturing into new territory.... I am going to take a step into the unknown.  I am going to peel my potatoes with my little black handled knife.... then I am going to assemble my new little white gizmo and I am going to finely slice my potatoes.

What on earth is a little white gizmo, I can hear you asking.... well I will tell you, it's a Mandoline. I am assembling my new Mandoline, which I have to tell you, I still have reservations about... but I will carry on and give it a chance. 

I prod one potato with the round grip, which is shaped like a bowler hat and which has little spikes attached and away I go...... I cannot believe it, I am slicing the potatoes so quickly.... and do you know.... I love it!

The Mandoline made short work of my potatoes, they were thinly sliced in minutes..... and I did not par-boil them beforehand..... how fabulous is that.  I have been converted, I am now a Mandoline User and I can't wait to use it again.

Did I hear you say, why did you spend the money and buy the Mandoline if you were not sure about it..... well,  I did not buy the Mandoline, it was given to me as a gift..... lucky me. 

So while I am basking in the fabulousness of my new Mandoline, it's on with the pinnie and the music I am listening to today is,


a lady who needs no introduction from me.... Whitney Houston. This whole album is fabulous, but listen to "My Love is Your Love" and "You'll Never Stand Alone".

The sun is shining through my kitchen windows and I am listening to "It's Not Right, But It's OK".... what could be nicer.

INGREDIENTS

750g large potatoes
1 large onion
1 red pepper
1 garlic clove
8 eggs
5 tablespoonfuls of olive oil
2 tablespoonfuls of butter
2 teaspoonfuls of sea salt
1 teaspoonful of black pepper

HOW TO MAKE
A
POTATO OMELETTE


Peel and slice the onion
and
place 1 tablespoonful of olive oil
into a pan and cook the onions
until golden brown.


Wash, and slice the red pepper.
In a separate pan,
add 1 tablespoonful of olive oil
and cook the red pepper until soft.

Set aside for a moment.


Peel and finely slice the potatoes.
Add 1 tablespoonful of olive oil to a pan
and
1 tablespoonful of butter.

Cook the potato slices in batches, until they become
 golden brown.
You will need to add  more olive oil and butter
as you cook the potatoes.

Set aside for a moment.


Using 1 teaspoonful of sea salt
crush the garlic.

When the onions are almost browned
add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.


Using a large bowl,
whisk the eggs together.


Add the browned onions to the eggs
and mix together.


Add the sliced peppers
to the onions and eggs.

Add  1 teaspoonful of sea salt and black pepper
and
mix together

Place 1 tablespoonful of olive oil into a pan
and heat.
Ladle the egg, onion and red pepper mix
into a 28cm pan
and


add the browned potatoes.


Press the potatoes into the egg mixture
and cook over a low heat
for 12-15 minutes.

Now if you are brave enough, flip the
potato omelette onto  a plate then
return it to the pan cooked side up.

I am not so brave, so I brown my potato omelette
under a medium grill.
This takes about 5-8 minutes


When the Potato Omelette is golden on top, 
allow the omelette to sit for a couple of minutes
then
place onto a plate.

We enjoy this Potato Omelette with
a green salad
and a
 simple olive oil and lemon dressing.

Of course if you prefer, you can cook your onions until translucent, but I love the caramelized flavour which comes from the browned onions.  Also, sometimes, I will add chilli flakes, or ground coriander and ground cumin seeds.  Feel free to play around with the flavours.

Don't worry if you do not own a Mandoline, do as I have done for years.... par boil the potatoes, allow to cool, then slice and cook in olive oil and butter.

If you prefer a deeper Potato Omelette, then use a smaller pan, but remember to increase the cooking time as the omelette will be a lot denser.

I know, it sounds like you are using a lot of pans, but a little washing up never hurt anyone, especially when the sun is shining and  you have a delicious Potato Omelette to enjoy for lunch.

So take care and I will see you on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...