Pages

Wednesday 27 November 2013

SAUSAGE ROLLS

Good Evening to you,


Phew, I am finally here with you....what a day I've had today..... I seemed to be chasing my tail for most of the day and achieved very little,  then to top it all, I had to wait for my new Super Hub to arrive and be installed.... which took longer than I  had expected. The installation was very straightforward.... however, the young man who came to install the hub discovered that "this was wrong" and "that was wrong" with my computer and by the end of his visit, he had me convinced that I would need to buy a new computer.... but no, here I am, merrily tapping away on the keys and my little laptop seems to be very happy with  it's new wireless attachment. So here's hoping my laptop continues to be happy for a little while longer. 

Now, what, you are wondering, are we making today. Do you remember on Sunday, after I had finished baking the Sausage, Onion and Chilli Pie ,  I mentioned I was going to share with you how I used the pieces of left over pastry.


Well, the left over pastry turned into these delightful little sausage rolls, which are easy peasy to make.

These sausage rolls are delicious fresh from the oven and they are certainly very moreish and I have to tell you, your kitchen will smell wonderful when you are baking these little lovelies.

So my apron is on and the music I am listening to today is,



the music from the film, Chocolat, starring Johnny Depp, Juliette Binoche and Dame Judi Dench.  I have read  the book, written  by Joanne Harris and I have seen the film as well and it is a film I can watch over and over again. If you don't know the story of Chocolat, then I will explain just a little. The story is about a young women, Vianne, who arrives in a small French village on a Shrove Tuesday. Vianne decides to rent the old bakery, and at the beginning of Lent she opens a Chocolate Shop..... and there the story begins.

The music which runs through the film is fabulous and the first piece of music I am listening to, is Minor Swing played by Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli and I guarantee, when you hear this music, your foot will certainly be tapping in time to the music. 

So, the music is playing, but I have just realised, that really, I have very few ingredients to share with you today.


INGREDIENTS

Left over pastry
 A little sausagemeat
(the amount does depend on how much pastry
you have left over)
sea salt and black pepper
A little milk
  A sprinkling of sesame seeds


METHOD

Pre-heat the oven to 180C

So where to begin.... I think I will begin where I ended the Sausage, Onion and Chilli Pie,



with the left over pastry.


Gently knead the pastry to bring it together
and then,
using a rolling pin,
roll out the pastry.

Trim the edges so that they are straight
and 


cut your piece of pastry
into two.
Each piece measuring about two inches in width
and three inches in length

Place some sausagemeat onto the
pastry and sprinkle over
salt and pepper.

Brush the top and bottom edges with milk

and


roll the pastry over.
 Using a fork, seal the edges

Cut a couple of little slits into the top of the
sausage rolls, 
to allow the steam to escape

and

brush with milk 

Continue bringing the scraps of pastry together,
then roll out
and add the sausagemeat,
until you have used up all the pastry.


Sprinkle sesame seeds on some
or on all of the sausage rolls
and 
place on a buttered baking tray.

Then bake in the pre-heated oven for 
30 -35 minutes 
or


until the sausage rolls are
golden brown and the pastry is light and flaky.

So from a few scraps of pastry, I managed to make seven sausage rolls, which did not hang around for very long, as George and his friend polished them off very quickly.

In the next few days  I am going to be making a much larger batch of sausage rolls. I will go so far as making the sausage rolls, but I will not bake them, instead I will open freeze them, and then layer them into containers where they will languish in the freezer until I am ready to bake them. When it is time for the sausage rolls to be eaten,  I will bake them from frozen and as they bake,  the smell will drift through the house and  I guarantee you, that one by one, my family will  make their way into the kitchen, ready to enjoy the sausage rolls as they come out of the oven. 

One of the reasons I enjoy cooking so much is,  I love seeing the smiles on everyone's faces when I lay the food on the table and afterwards, seeing the feeling of contentment, when all the food has been eaten and enjoyed. 

Before I go, I would like to wish all my friends a "Happy Thanksgiving".  Have a wonderful day with your family and friends tomorrow and I will be thinking of you all.

Take care and I will see you on Sunday.

This week I will be joining,








No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...