Pages

Wednesday, 12 June 2013

BLUE AND WHITE SPODE

Good Morning to you,

Do you like the colour blue?

I do.

I love seeing a bright blue sky first thing in the morning, it makes me feel happy and it makes me smile.  

I love walking along a beach, the sight of a bright blue ocean warms my heart and makes me want to dip my toes in the water. 

Add a touch of white, to the bright blue sky, in the form of big white  fluffy clouds,

and,

to the bright blue ocean add white  rolling foam.

Close your eyes and imagine these scenes in your mind's eye and you begin to appreciate the beauty of the colour combination of  blue and white.


I have some lovely blue and white Spode pieces to show you today. These spice jars are from The Spode Blue Room Collection.  

There are six spice jars and the first one I want to show you is  Ionian. This design was first introduced in 1851.  All the spice jar engravings have been reproduced from hand engraved copper plates.



Turn the Ionian spice jar around and there is another quite detailed engraving on the reverse.


I think I have to say that this is my favourite and it is called Grasshopper which was first introduced in 1812.

Spode is a pottery company based in Stoke-on-Trent and was founded by Josiah Spode in 1770.



.....and here is the reverse. Do you see the grasshopper with his large eyes. He looks like he has found a tasty snack and is ready to leap from the flower.

Today Spode is owned by The Portmeirion Group. Portmeirion produce some beautiful items, but that is another story, for another time.


..... and here we have Venetian Scenes which was first introduced in 1908. There is so much detail in this piece because if you turn the spice jar around,


you are greeted with a different scene, and again such lovely detailed work.

I could just take my book, place my blanket underneath the arbour, in the cool of the shade, and relax. Doesn't that sound heavenly.


This is Persian Bird which was first introduced in 1860.


Take a look at the reverse and you will see the Persian bird just taking flight. I could not decide if the bird was a Heron or a Stork.

The work on these spice jars is just staggering as the jars are 4 inches tall with the lid on and 3 inches tall without the lid.


I would like you to meet May,  this design was first introduced in 1826.


I did say Grasshopper was my favourite, but this runs a close second.  There is a similarity between the two.  I think it is the beautiful flowers which are on each piece that I love..... because who does not enjoy seeing a big, brash, yellow sunflower.


Here we have Continental Views which was first introduced in 1844.


Interestingly this is the same design on both sides. If you take a closer look you will see the face of a very odd looking person.  I'm not sure who he is.  At first I thought he was the musician, who played the lute, which you can see lying on the ground, but when I took a closer look I decided it was a statue..... I have to say a very odd looking statue.


..... and I thought you would like to take a little closer look at the designs on the lids. For such tiny pieces there is so much  detail.


So now, I think you can appreciate why I love blue and white so very much.

Before I go, I am sorry I was not able to speak to  you on Sunday, but I was feeling under the weather.  Normally I would let you know, but I really could not type a word.  I am feeling much better now, so gradually everything is getting back to normal.

Take care and I will see you later in the week.

This week I will be joining these lovely ladies,









Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...