Pages

Saturday 16 February 2013

SEWING, KNITTING AND EMBROIDERY

Good Morning to you,

Firstly, I would like to thank Kathryn from The Dedicated House who kindly featured my white beaded cushion this week see here.   I was over the moon.   Kathryn hosts Make it Pretty Monday, please pop over and visit her, I know she will be thrilled to see you. 



What can be inside this rather old, well used, red book. The cover is quite plain, it has a motif which is two cotton spools and a sewing needle. The cover appears to be quilted and you can feel the slight texture as you run your hands across it.

Shall we take a peek inside,


This is a beautiful carpet, worked by Queen Mary, grandmother to our present day Queen, Elizabeth II. The twelve panels were worked separately and the border was added afterwards. The carpet, which is worked entirely in cross stitch, took nine years to complete.

Yes, it is a late 1940's early 1950's Needlecraft Book. This book contains everything you need to know about sewing, dressmaking, dress accessories, embroidery, knitting, crochet, toy making, lace making, mending, patchwork and soft furnishings. As you can see, this is a very comprehensive needlecraft book. It is a book I use on a regular basis, because although fashions change, needlework does not.


The description of these collars reads "The straight collar on the left looks most attractive on a V-neck dress. It is made in crisp white organdie with blue embroidery and trimming. On the right is the square tailored collar, which has a narrow frilled edging and a Broderie Anglaise insertion."

These collars remind me of ones which we wore during the 1980's. Do you remember the styles which Princess Diana wore....the square collar is so very similar.


This photograph shows an original Victorian belt, made of velvet, and is boned and laced. It was made in 1880 and the actual waist measurement is 18 inches. There are twelve shaped panels with fine light boning sewn in to the seams. Silk cord is laced through the eyelet holes.

Can you imagine a waist measurement of 18 inches, I think as women, our shapes are changing. I did think that the design was like a corset and so must have pulled the waist in, but this is a belt, so I don't believe that would be possible.


"Designed for cold winter mornings, this smart house-coat, with a double breasted fastening, shawl collar and full skirt, should be made in woollen fabric in a gay colour. "

As beautiful as this house-coat is, I would never get any housework done, it would be to cumbersome. These house-coats were presumably worn by ladies of leisure.

Again, go back a few years to 1971. I owned a black Maxi-coat, in exactly the same design as this house-coat. George said, it was as if I glided when I walked because he could not see my feet......but it was very fashionable and it kept me warm in the winter.


"This attractive slip, is suitable for day or evening wear. It has a gathered frill edge with lace round the hem, and the figure flattering yoke is finished with narrow lace."

I only know two people who still wear slips and that is Phyllis and Sadie who are both 82 years of age.


"This very attractive nightdress has a deep band of smocking round the waist and a narrower band trims the top of the bodice. It has wide shoulder-straps and the hem is finished with a gathered frill. The top edge is frilled to match."

One of the first things I learnt to sew when I was a school girl was a nightdress, perhaps not as elegant as this, but just as simple to make.


....and here is the pattern, just two, long, pieces of material, which are smocked and sewn.


"Warm without being bulky, this bed jacket is worked in a crazy-pattern crochet. The straight "cut" and Magyar-style sleeves give ease of fit, the only fastenings being the ribbon ties at the neck, waist and sleeves."

I remember, when I was a little girl, Ivy used to knit her own bed jackets.  She would wear them to bed, to keep her warm and cosy through the long winter nights.


"This is a pattern for a dinner frock. The bodice is a straight piece draped at the hip into a centre panel.  The two-piece bodice has cap sleeves and is gathered at the shoulder seam to give soft folds at the front."

Again this dress, which has padded shoulders, puts me in mind of the dresses we wore in 1980's. I had a similar dress in pale blue, it was a little shorter, the hem reached just below my knee, but otherwise, it could be the same dress.


"The motif on the centre panel of the rectangular cushion is Jacobean in style. The other cushion has applique patchwork, the motifs are made up of diamonds of plain and patterned fabrics.

I realise the first cushion is Jacobean in style, but it really does put me in mind of  cushions which can be bought at Ikea. I think it is the beautiful embroidery.

If you are lucky enough to have a sewing room, take a look around it and look at everything you have.  Then take a look at this photograph,


Like me, you probably have shelves, filled with material, patterns, cotton, ribbon, books, wool, beads, embroidery threads....the list is endless. Now look at the picture above, to see what our mother's and grandmother's used.

"Here you see part of a room which has been made into a cosy sewing corner. Note the useful cabinet on the left to hold cottons, scissors, patterns and so on. It is essential that the sewing machine stands in a good light, and that the chair is very comfortable."

Our mother's and grandmother's achieved such beautiful work with so very little equipment and materials.  It made me think about what I have and how lucky I am to have so much, in a room, I can call my sewing room.  I am grateful for what I have and I am full of admiration for the women who went before us, who achieved so much with so little.

I enjoy looking back to a life my mother and grandmother lived.  Yes I appreciate it was austere, and often a hard life, but I do believe in these times, where money has to stretch further for families, we can learn a thing or two from them.

Take care and I will see you later in the week.

This week I shall be joining Claudia at Mockingbird Hill Cottage.




20 comments:

  1. Hi Daphne,
    That book is such a treasure! Love looking back at the way things were made in the past. I don't know anyone who wears a slip now and days. Isn't that kind of funny? Love the sewing room with just the basics to get the job done. My Mother sat at a table similar to that one in our dining room as it was the only spot for it. Thank you for sharing!
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this post. It brought back a lot of memories of my mom and grandma. Mom often wore a simple black dress made dressy by adding a collar such as the ones shown here. I have a picture of her in one that was, I believe organza.The pictures really interested me...Thanks for sharing.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Daphne,
    So glad to read your note this morning before leaving the house. We drove to the capital city of Atlanta, back and forth today. That is 6 hours on the road + shopping to stock up on things at Costco (you have Costco Wholesale in the UK as well), Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Great grocers for health food. Just unloaded and put things up; lots of work after coming home but no excuse not doing it. So I find this post, to read like a book almost; going way back in time. Indeed, considering how our grandmothers had to make do with the little and few luxuries they had is mind boggling. We only can admire them even more; at least I DO!
    Hugs to you and love your 3 thumbnails; you could have placed 5! You still can change it by removing this one and re-installing. And the other photos have no impact on the thumbnails!
    Enjoy your Sunday.
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love embrodery and these look absolutely beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed browsing through this book with you, Daphne. The fashions for women were so attractive; my jeans just can't compete.
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Give me a red house coat like that, and I'll never take it off! It'd make me feel a little bit more glamourous while cleaning house and watching the kids. ;)

    Yes, I don't know how our mothers and grandmothers did it. I can't imagine life without my iPhone...

    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Daphne!!!

    This book is amazing!!! In a thrift store once I bout some knitting pattern magazines just so I could look at the pictures. They were from the late 40's to early 50's.

    Thank you for this delightful trip!!

    Pam
    xox

    ps: Feeling totally better now? I hope so!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The more things change, the more they remain the same... I love the way you have compared newer styles with these old ones. Well, 70s and 80s newer anyway! You don't see bed jackets and slips anymore!! Or 18 inch waistlines! LOL!
    Fun post -- I enjoyed the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, I LOVE the photos! What a delightful book you have Daphne. Amazing how styles change and then return. I would gladly wear any of those outfits although I would NEVER fit an 18 inch belt!

    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a fun post! I love the vintage fashion photos. I was reminded that my mom had the prettiest bed jackets, quilted satin with ribbons and embroidery. Thanks for the sweet memories.

    Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, Daphne, this is such a fabulous post! Each and every photo brings back memories of a time gone by. No, I can't remember the last time I wore a slip! But when I was young, it was unthinkable not to. Then I graduated to half slips. I just bought a half slip a few years ago when I was wearing a skirt made of fabric that was a little see through.

    And the frock? Just my kind of style. I so love the looks from the thirties and forties. I'd wear it in a second!

    Thanks so much for joining in this week!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, sounds like a wonderful book! I just love the vintage images. Women seemed so elegant back then, didn't they? Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Daphne, the dress and red house coat are lovely. I can hand sew and do embroidery but do not give me a sewing machine. I wish I had learned but was always too busy with my nursing. I really enjoyed this post. Olive

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Daphne, We are in our sixties! Whooohoo! Oh I love that my family is near me. My Mom was the same way. She had to have her family near. THANK YOU for you birthday greetings. You are a great friend.

    That knit top with the ribbon running through the open spaces is so typical of things I wore as a child. My Mom kept a baby dress of mine that was that style. Thanks for that wonderful memory.

    ReplyDelete
  15. El libro y los trajes son un tesoro las mamás nuestras se vestían así,lindo post Daphe,te respondí sobre los cachitos o conos no son conos de helados es otra masa,abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lindo livro, lindas imagens e tantas recordações ele traz!

    ADOREI! BEIJOS,LINDA SEMANA,CHICA

    ReplyDelete
  17. Daphne,

    Esse livro é mais uma relíquia em suas mãos. Divino!
    Cada foto mais linda que a outra. Eu gosto demais de ver imagens antigas como essas, e aprender sobre tudo.
    Não sou tão velha, e não tão nova. Risos, Mas, mamãe conta que no tempo dela, usavam espartilhos para ficar com a cintura fina. A moda moderna, infelizmente, acabou com isso, e raramente, se vê corpos lindos como das mulheres de antigamente.
    Amei ver isso tudo. Obrigada pelo seu carinho de sempre. Amo suas visitas e comentários. Beijos

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good Morning Daphne,
    This lovely book brought back so many memories of my early girl-hood.
    As a young girl I always wore a slip, my Momma made it mandatory, as she believed one was 'naked' without a slip on under a dress. She also had many bed jackets, although she never had the opportunity to sew one for me, as I was fairly young still when
    they seem to go out of style.
    You're right, how simple were the sewing room from past times, and how such lovely work came from such simplicity.
    I'll be trying your recipe today for the Lemon Drizzle Cake, just the thought of the Lemon Syrup makes my mouth water. Yum!
    Thank you too for sharing the Newcastle Journal, such fun.
    Have a good day-
    Becka

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful old book Daphne. Love the pictures and the descriptions. It's fun to look back, isn't it? And I agree, our mothers and grandmothers made so much from so little. I think of my own sewing and craft room...there's so much stuff in there right now I can hardly even use it. My grandmother would be shocked at the waste of space. :( Thanks for sharing!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am glad that you told me to come look for this...love it! Imagine wearing that housecoat! Each picture is more extraordinary than the next! Wonderful book :)

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...