Pages

Wednesday, 16 January 2013

DAPHNE THE GREEK GODDESS

Good Morning to you,

I awoke this morning, made my way downstairs to put the coffee machine on. I opened the shutters and look what I saw!


What was that on top of our garden statues head?


Were my eyes deceiving me. I reached for my glasses and yes, Daphne (the name of the statue) was wearing a snow hat and snow wrap .....doesn't she look elegant. 

I am not being egotistical by naming our garden statue Daphne. Actually never mind about egotistical, who names a garden statue, certainly not me.  The name was given by Kyriargos, our Cypriot friend. The first time he looked at the statue he told us, her name was Daphne, after the Greek Goddess. What could I say, I graciously accepted the title of Greek Goddess.

For the sake of accuracy I thought I should tell you that Daphne was a actually a nymph  and not a goddess.

Way back in October, I  promised to show you more of my Picture Post Magazine from 1939. If you missed the first part you can read it  here So today I thought I would show you adverts from that era.


So, before and after photographs are not only a product of today's advertising. This is quite a transformation. Do you think it is due to the lighting, the make up, the hairstyle and the smile. Tell me, am I being cynical?


This little girl is enjoying her Chilvern Cottage Cheese. She  definitely has a contented look on her face. 

Do you see the price of the pair of silver plated teaspoons. They could be bought for one shilling. Mind you, the price was a shilling, only if two box tops, from two six penny packets of Cheese were sent to the Chilvern company.

I remember Phyllis saving box tops from packets of Daz Washing Powder. For every "x" amount of tops you sent to Daz, you received a red plastic rose.  Phyllis collected about  a dozen which were displayed in a vase on the dining room table.  It sounds odd nowadays to collect plastic roses, but in the early 1960's they were very fashionable.


I remember using a similar product to Veet, when I was in my 20's, I only used this once as trust me the aroma was not a pleasant.  Looking back, I dread to think what ingredients were included in this product.


Tin salmon during the 1930's, 40's, and 50's was a definite luxury item.  I remember Ivy would make salmon and cucumber sandwiches, cut into triangles, as a special treat for our Sunday tea.


I would hope that the "valuable ingredients in Cuticura are based on scientific knowledge" and not added haphazardly!


Phyllis bought Pepsodent toothpaste when we were children. There was a catchy song which was sang advertising Pepsodent, but for the life of me I cannot remember it.

Do you think the model in this picture is the same as the model, Miss C in the "How I got rid of my wrinkles" advert? If not they are very similar.


....and finally, Yardley Lavender perfume.  This was an expensive perfume as the prices ranged from 2 shillings and 6 pence to 2 guineas....a huge sum of money for that time.

I found it interesting to see, that the advertising for women's products,  were playing to the insecurities of women, in 1939, very much as they do today.

What do you think of the adverts. I should imagine the company  you will know, is Yardley as they are a well known name. 

This week I shall be joining Claudia for My Favourite Thing  here

On Sunday I will be making a Greek vegetarian dish, until then take care and I will see you later in the week.  







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...