Pages

Sunday, 2 December 2012

TWO POACHED EGGS AND A MUFFIN!

Good Morning to you,

Have you noticed that everywhere you look, we are reminded that Christmas is just around the corner. I adore Christmas, but it is a time when we will consume much more food than we normally would. 
We will eat turkey with all the trimmings, we will enjoy Christmas Pudding with Brandy cream.  I dare not even think about how many Mince Pies, covered in cream or custard, and slices of Christmas Cake with delicious marzipan and icing,  we will consume.
So, before Christmas I enjoy simpler foods and one dish I enjoy very much, is poached eggs on a hot buttered muffin or a thick slice of toasted bread.

There are numerous ways to make poached eggs. Some people love using an egg poacher, but I tend to find they make the eggs rubbery. Other people swear by microwave ovens, but to be perfectly honest, I am not a lover of microwave cooking.  Some people cook the eggs in a pan of water and add a dash of vinegar...I've never found the need to do this, because the secret, I believe, lies in using the freshest eggs you can find.  For me a perfect poached egg is one which is cooked for three minutes, then when I cut into the egg the yolk flows like a river, over my breakfast muffin. Absolutely delicious. 
So I thought today, I would share with you  how I make my poached eggs.
Before I start, could I ask you to use the freshest eggs possible. I buy good quality, free range eggs. I realise  you will spend a little more money on free range eggs, but believe me it is worth it.  The way you will know if you have a fresh egg, is when you immerse the cracked egg into hot water, if it keeps it's round shape while it is poaching, then the egg is fresh. If the egg starts drifting around the pan and the white of the egg does not hold together, then the egg is old.



Firstly, decide on how many eggs you wish to poach. It could be one, it could be two, it could be three or if you are like us, we poach four and have two each. Well, you know the saying,  "Eat like a King for breakfast, Eat like a Prince for lunch and Eat like a Pauper for supper!"


Half fill a wide, non-stick pan with  water.
Place the pan of water on to a hob, over a high heat,  until the water is bubbling.
Whilst you are waiting for your water to boil cut your muffin in half.  I am speaking now as if you are making one muffin with two eggs.

Cut the muffin in half and toast. Turn off your grill and let the grill cool a little. Place your muffins back under the cooled grill and leave them there to stay warm.


When the water is boiling, crack one egg  into a cup and pour the egg gently in to the pan of water, then crack the second egg into a cup and lower that one into the water, as you can see in picture two.  The eggs are now fully immersed in the water and as you can see, they are holding their shape.
Bring the water back to the boil, you can see this happening in picture three. Lower the heat and  simmer. Time your eggs for 3 minutes, longer if you prefer your eggs firmer, the choice is yours.

Butter your muffin halves so they are ready to receive the delicious poached eggs.
When the correct time has elapsed, switch off the heat. Using a large slotted spoon, gently, remove the eggs from the pan, do this gently and allow the water to drip from the egg for a couple of seconds. Place the egg on the muffin and repeat the process for the second egg.


I am not sure why I am showing you three photos of the poached eggs, obviously I was very pleased with these little round beauties!

  
Place the muffins and eggs on a plate, sprinkle with sea salt and black cracked pepper and there you have it, a delicious breakfast or lunch.

I hope you enjoy making and eating these poached eggs.

I know we did, they were scrummy!

This week I will be joining,


Have a lovely day and I will see you later in the week.








Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...