Pages

Wednesday 28 November 2012

KNIT ONE, PURL ONE, PART II


Good Morning to you,

Do you remember, in October, I shared with you some of the contents of this Knitting Book.

This book belonged to Pansy Greenacre who had received  it as a Christmas present in 1938.  If you missed the first part of the post, you will be able to find it here

Behind the plain exterior of this book, you will find,  the most fascinating information about the history of knitting.

At the beginning of the book Mary writes,

"If all the looms in the world
ceased to produce cloth,
and the art of spinning and knitting alone remained,
we could be clothed,
both warmly and fashionably."



By courtesy of Mrs M. Herrman-Tragy
The photo above shows a collection of 18th century, Circular Knitting Frames,  made of ivory and wood.  The tubular knitting which you can see at the bottom of the photo, has been made using  silk.
This is an interesting collection of luxury, 18th century knitting frames.  There are five different shapes, the larger circular model being 3" in height, and made of ivory, mounted on horn. This has 54 pegs. The smaller is made of wood and contains 44 pegs. The three smallest frames, are long which makes them easier to hold. The largest, is made of wood and has 8 pegs; the next, also wood, has 5 steel pegs, while the smallest, with 4 pegs is cut out of horn. Each frame is open both ends so that the increasing knitting can fall through.  The larger frames would be used for stocking making. Can you see the long knitted silk cord, this  was worked on the 8 peg frame and dates from 1804.  In medieval days the soft woollen or flax girdles worn by  monks were also knitted upon frames of this type.



Goodness me, when I first saw this picture, the memories came flooding back. Do you remember Cotton Reel Knitting, or as we called it French Knitting.  I remember learning this form of knitting from Phyllis and I couldn't get enough of it.  I was about 8 or 9 years of age, when I received a sewing box for Christmas. Inside  held small balls of pretty coloured wool, a crochet hook and a wooden object that looked like a wooden peg which had 4 small nails protruding from the top. Later I learnt the wooden peg was known as a French Knitting Doll.  Before the excitement could begin, I had to learn.... this did not take very long as I was so eager, especially when I had seen the small book of instructions which showed the long coils I could produce.  The wool was in my hand  and with the aid of a crochet hook,  I was off and running.
Both Natasha and Danielle are very creative women.  I remember when they were little girls, I made them knitting dolls  from empty wooden sewing spools. I added the tiny tacks to the top and both the girls had great fun with this form of knitting.


I have a friend who knits Fair Isle jumpers and it is fascinating watching her, as it takes so much concentration. Traditional Fair Isle designs rarely contain more than two different colours in any one line of knitting, both being usually varied in the next line or round, but designs from Europe often carry three or four different colours in any one line. 
Fair Isle knitting was very popular when I was a child.  I remember Gramps often wore Fair Isle jumpers which Ivy had knitted for him.



Brocade Knitting
This is the most beautiful piece of  17th century knitting. This sleeved waistcoat is Italian and has been  knitted in silk and gold threads.
This is a 17th century example of Brocade knitting.  A change of fabric, with a change of colour and introducing a purl stitch created the high relief pattern.
This was knitting in the grand manner. High born males of this period, wore their waistcoats and capes, knitted in silk and metal threads and patterned in the most marvellous and intricate floral designs.


This fragment is an example of colour knitting from the 7th to 9th centuries. Mary writes, "This is as astonishing in technique as it is beautiful in design. This piece was found in Egypt at Fostat (an ancient city on the site of Cairo) and the fabric which was used is silk, with 36 stitches to the inch. The pattern being in a deep red maroon on a ground of gold silk and is knitted in crossed stocking stitch."
What a treat this would be if I could have shown you this piece of work in colour, but alas the photos are black and white, but look at the piece, close your eyes and imagine the colours of deep maroon on a background of gold silk. Just beautiful.
....and finally, I thought I would show you some more of the illustrations, which are peppered throughout the book. These humorous caricatures were drawn by Miss Margaret Agutter.


Winding wool
I hope the sheep didn't mind!



Decreasing
This illustration is fun,
I can certainly identify with this!


Too Tight!
When I first married, I remember I washed one
of George's jumpers which shrunk.
He looked like this. 
I had not realised that jumpers were washed at a lower temperature!


Increasing
I don't think he had much hope of growing
 as tall as a hollyhock!

This week I will be joining,



I will see you later in the week, until then, take care.


 

48 comments:

  1. That looks like a fascinating book to own and read. I also remember knitting on a spool and I still have one made from a wooden cotton reel that I made for our daughters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Afternoon Linda, The French Knitting Dolls were fun weren't they. My daughters were the same, they loved using the dolls and used to make things for their dolls....oh, such a long time ago. Have a lovely day. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  2. Good morning Daphne. What an interesting post, so full of history! I taught myself the art of knitting although the very basic form of knitting and can make a pretty good scarf! I am so happy to see such an art coming back so strongly amongst the young. It will surely never die! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Afternoon Debbie, Gosh, well done you, teaching yourself to knit. I'm a visual learner and always find it much easier when someone shows me. I know knitting has become very popular with actresses and there are cafes in London where you can go and knit and chat. I'm not going to knit, but I am going to chat to my mum now. Have a lovely day. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  3. Hello, Daphne

    I hadn't heard of cotton-reel knitting before. It must be fun to browse through this particular knitting book. It certainly puts the simple scarf I'm working on into perspective!

    -Karen



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Afternoon Karen, Cotton Reel knitting is fun....well I thought so when I was a little girl, but do you know I still think I would enjoy knitting this way. Yes it is a fascinating book and it is so interesting to find out how knitting began. I'm so pleased you enjoyed the post. Have a lovely weekend. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  4. Daphne, I've really enjoyed your posts about The Knitting Book. A wonderful look at some knitting history. Fun with decreasing! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Afternoon Snap, I'm so pleased you enjoyed the posts about knitting. I realised knitting was quite an old skill, but I hadn't realised that it dated so far back in time...and the use of the bobbins was fascinating. Have a lovely weekend. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  5. Hallo dear Daphne! What an interesting post, so full of history!!
    Fantastic book!!Have a wonderful week!
    Dimi..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kalispara Dimi, Glad you enjoyed reading about the history of knitting, as I know you enjoy knitting aswell. Have a lovely weekend Dimi. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  6. I think it's sweet how this old book brings back so many happy memories for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Afternoon Gina, Isn't it amazing how items can transport you back to a certain place and time. The memory of Ivy teaching me to knit is so strong as is the memory of me teaching my daughters how to knit. They are both lovely memories. Have a lovely day. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  7. All of this "knitting" is new to me. I don't have extensive sewing abilities and have never knitted. I tried crochet when I was a teenager and enjoyed that, but that's about it. That book sounds like it is very informative and a great addition to your library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Afternoon Kelly, If you can crochet, believe me you can knit, because I would saying crocheting is more difficult to do. The world of creativity opens up to you when you learn to knit and sew. Maybe one day when you have more time you will pick up your crocheting again. Have a lovely day. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  8. Hi Daphne, this is a late thank you for following Carole's Chatter Blog Tips. I am now following you right back. Have a good week.

    Ps If you would like email reminders of future Food and/or Book Linkys, just pop by and comment and include your email - I won't publish it - and the reminder will be by bcc so it will remain private

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Afternoon Carole, Thank you so much for becoming a new follower, it was very kind of you. I love your blog as it is so full of useful information. I will make a note to email you about future food and book links. Take care, Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  9. Hello Daphne, such a lovely history lesson. Most I have never heard of. I unfortunately don't have the talent to knit. My mother does. There are some beautiful garments to be made. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Afternoon Linda, It is so interesting to find out how knitting developed....not always using two knitting needles. There are certainly some lovely ideas in the book. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  10. Hello Daphne; This is a really neat book. I had no idea knitting had such a history and I am intrigued at the beautiful designs. Such talented hands made the Brocade jacket. Thank you for sharing Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Afternoon Amy, I had a sneaky feeling you would enjoy this book. I don't think most people realise how old knitting is as a skill. I think for me the knitted Italian waistcoat is my favourite, absolutely amazing work. Have a really lovely weekend. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  11. Hello Daphne,

    I love the book, it is so fun. I wish I could knit or crochet for that matter. It seems to be 2 talents that no matter how hard I try I just can't get down. It makes matters worse that many of my friends, mother, sister, and daughter can all do both very well. Luckily they make things for me so I can have the love and coziness that comes from home knitted items.

    I hope you have a lovely day,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Afternoon Connie, Maybe one day, when the time is right you will master knitting, but as you say you are lucky to have friends and family who are experienced knitters who make you warm and cuddly items. I love home made gifts, I think they are the best. Enjoy the rest of your day. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  12. Good morning Daphne, what a beautiful treasure.
    I remember getting that spool with the nails and as we hooked the tail of wool would come threw the opening...
    Thanks for the fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Afternoon Linda, I thought you might have known this craft as you are a very experienced crafter. I love how memories flood back and we relive the past when we are reminded of our childhood. Have a lovely day today. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  13. Hi Daphne! Your book sounds like a good read. My daughter learned to knit by using a wheel instead of needles.

    Thank you for stopping by and commenting. I'm so glad you had the chance to visit the market while you were visiting your daughter. It's my favorite place to shop and one of the reasons we moved to the area. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Afternoon Brandi, How lovely that your daughter learnt to knit by using the wheel method....it's great fun. I loved the market you spoke about and can understand why you love it so much as it is the most wonderful market......and it's huge! Enjoy your weekend. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  14. I love your blog!!! I found you from a comment that you left on Brandi's post about her spice boiling pot. Brandi and I are mutual followers. Your blog is delightful and I adore the fact that you have step by step photos of your recipes. There is so much to see and your food looks so good that I can almost smell the goodness. I am your newest follower, please come visit. I would be over the moon if you would decide to follow me back.
    I am looking forward to getting to know you better through blogging and in trying some of your wonderful recipes.
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Your newest blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Afternoon Connie, How lovely to meet you. I am sorry I have not visited as yet, but do you know, it has been one of those weeks, where I don't know if I am coming or going. I promise I will pop over and visit you later. Thank you so much for becoming a new follower, and also thank you for the kind words about my blog, it was very sweet of you. Have a fabulous weekend. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  15. Hi again Daphne, I've really loved being able to leaf through your knitting book with you through your blog. Thanks for sharing it with us. My favorite is the "Decreasing" illustration. That Miss Margaret Agutter had a sense of humor, didn't she? Have a great weekend!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Afternoon Debbie, I am so pleased you enjoyed reading my knitting book. The illustrations are fun and yes I agree with you the "Decreasing" illustration was fabulous! It is really a very fascinating book to read. Have a lovely day, Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  16. I have never knitted but this was a fascinating article : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Afternoon Debra, Knitting is a very therapeutic hobby. I love the fact, that as long as the pattern isn't too intricate, I can knit and watch the television at the same time. Enjoy your day today. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  17. I can't wait to come back and read this! It is almost 9:30 and DH needs his breakfast first! I'll be back...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Afternoon Marie, I hope you managed to make DH his breakfast and were able to find the time to pop back. Knitting has a very fascinating history and not one which many people are aware of. I hope you find this an interesting topic.....make sure you have your breakfast first! Have a lovely day, Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
    2. Back from a busy day of errands. Before I pick up my knitting and sit for a bit by our wood stove, I managed to have a look at your book. What fun!

      I have fond memories of my French grandmother and mother helping me learn to use a spool with 4 nails on top. I had contests to see if I could make cords that reached from one end of the house to the other. I changed colors frequently. I hope to teach my granddaughter one day soon. She is just 3 1/2 now.

      Delete
    3. Hello again Marie, Thank you for coming back to visit me after your busy day of errands. I have a lovely image in my mind of you sitting by your wood stove all warm and cosy. We know this style of knitting as French knitting, so I am not surprised your French grandmother taught you. I was exactly the same, I didn't want to make anything with the knitting, I just wanted to have coils of knitting growing at my feet. Like you, I know your granddaughter will enjoy French knitting just as my daughters did. Have a lovely day. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  18. I love this vintage book and the illustrations. I am reminded of those knitting spools of my childhood - do children still use them? I hope so!

    Thanks so much for joining in this week!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Afternoon Claudia, Yes children do still use them, but I'm not sure how popular they are. I think it depends on the parents. I showed my daughters how to use the knitting spools when they were young and they loved it. It is always a pleasure to join your parties. Have a lovely day. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  19. I love vintage books and this one looks fascinating. I've never quite been able to get the hang of knitting.

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Evening Manuela, I adore old books and have collected them since I was a teenager. I love the fact that someone else has leafed through the pages before me and enjoyed the contents. This is such a good knitting book with many patterns I remember Ivy, my grandmother knitting. I think that is why I love it so much. Have a lovely day today. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  20. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely book with us and all the info about knitting. And I adore the name Pansy! One must certainly be perky and fun with the name Pansy ;)

    I loved spool knitting when I was a child - I received a kit as a birthday gift and was besotted with it for a long while. Sadly I never learned to knit or crochet for real and continue to kick myself.

    Wishing you a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Evening Sally, I know, the name Pansy is adorable isn't it. I wonder what she was like.
      Maybe, when the time is right you will learn to knit. It really is such a pleasant past-time and such a creative way to spend your time. Thank you for stopping by. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  21. I am a knitter, but have to slow down because of my "old hands." I'm going to have to come back and really take this post all in. Just wanted to comment for Favorite Saturday. Thanks for sharing.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Evening Balisha, Thank you so much for visiting me, it is lovely to meet you. I hope you enjoy both parts of this post as it really is a lovely book. It is full of fascinating information and also lots of "how to" chapters. Take care and have a lovely evening. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  22. Love this post, when I was a child I was in a catholic school and the nuns teached us knit like this!!!
    Still I love knit! But Iuse crochet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Evening Gloria, I am so pleased you enjoyed reading about my old knitting book. It is lovely to hear that you still knit, as in England I don't think it is as popular as it used to be. Sadly the small wool shops have closed down. I enjoy crochet aswell, but it has been a while since I made anything. Have a lovely evening Gloria, Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  23. I love to find books like this...such treasures they are. If you are a knitter, it surely has special meaning for you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good Evening Lulu, Yes I agree, it is exciting when you find a book which is old and which has been loved by someone else....I think it makes it even more special. I have quite a few old books which I have collected since I was a teenager. Yes, you are right this book is special as I do love to knit. Have a lovely evening, Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...