Pages

Wednesday 19 September 2012

SUMMER'S ABUNDANCE FOR WINTER'S SHORTFALL

Good Morning to you, 

 Do you remember, in August, when I showed you some photos of my garden,   I  included  the flowers which were growing on the Runner Bean plant.  I added this photo  as the flowers  were so vibrant and beautiful, I felt they had earned their place amongst the other garden flowers. 
  



Well, the months have passed, my plants have grown and  now I have a plentiful supply of runner beans.


I planted three plants, which were slow to grow because of the constant rain during June and July, but come August they started growing really well and because of this little plant I have an abundance of Runner beans. 




 Each plant has yielded about 1 kilo of Runner beans.

Once I started picking the Runner beans, they grew so fast that I had more than I could use, so I decided to freeze them in portions sizes, enough for us to eat at one meal. 
 
 I selected young, tender beans which I didn't allow to grow too big otherwise they would have become stringy and tough.

  


 I washed them thoroughly, then topped and tailed them (this means, trim each end of the bean). Then cut the beans into good sized pieces.  My Runner beans are chunkier than  Phyllis and Ivy's,  as they tended to cut theirs into a much slimmer shape, which made the beans look more delicate, but George prefers a chunkier bean.  He says this is a "man" sized bean!




 I then blanched the beans.  This is essential as blanching preserves the colour, the flavour and texture of the beans. I used 3 litres of water to every 500g of beans.

Bring the pan of water to a rolling boil and add the beans. I find it easier to add a couple of handfuls  at a time, as this allows the water to return to a rolling boil quickly. 




When 3 minutes has passed, (I would recommend you set a timer as it is easy to be distracted), remove the beans from the pan with a slotted spoon and plunge the beans into a bowl of iced cold water.  I use cold water from the tap then add about 12 ice cubes, this enables the beans to cool quickly to prevent over cooking and to allow the beans to retain their colour. 




Have your freezer bags to hand ready to fill with Runner beans.  Record the date the beans were frozen and add what the bags contain, in this case, Runner beans.




Add the beans to your freezer bags, as much or as little as you prefer, but not more than three quarters full.  I tend to freeze enough for one meal. 

 

Remove as much air as you can from the bag and seal. Your beans are now ready to freeze to enjoy during the winter time. 



I place the beans into the freezer and lay them flat as this helps to freeze them much quicker.  I can stack them once the beans have frozen.

  
And all because of this wonderful flower.... and not forgetting the pollination by the bees.


Now, I want to say,

a big thank you to Linda from Life and Linda who wrote a great post about watermarking photos using PicMonkey. You can find her post here: http://www.lifeandlinda.com/2012/07/watermark-your-photos.html

I wanted to say thank you as watermarking also introduced me to PicMonkey which in turn allowed me to improve my photos. The blogging community is such a generous community, which I am glad to be a part of. If you are a new blogger click on the link and you will be so glad you did. 

I shall be joining,


and


 Enjoy the rest of your week and I will see you soon.  Take care,


Best Wishes



Daphne xxx


16 comments:

  1. That's a pretty & vibrant colored flower and I was surprised to learn it gave you beans! How wonderful! I've never tried growing vegetables, but I maybe one day, I will.

    And yes, I too, love PicMonkey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Gina, Yes do try to grow vegetables. I have a small garden and have done very well with my produce this year. I also grow flowers, which are my first love. It's just feels so good, that with a little effort you can have organic food and so cheaply. Enjoy your day. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  2. That's wonderful, Daphne! Now you can just pull a bag from the freezer when you are including beans with your meal. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kathy, It's a great feeling to know that what you are eating hasn't been covered with pesticides. I am so pleased with the amount of beans I harvested from three little plants. Thank you so much for stopping by. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  3. It was lovely to see Runner beans again, took me back to life before I moved to France. Not only the beans to enjoy at the end, but also the lovely vibrant flowers before. Although everyone grows 'Haricot Vert' here, I still prefer the Runner bean.I'll be thinking of you when I'm having to eat haricot Vert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Barbara, I love Runner beans although we do also eat French beans aswell, but I buy them. The beans are sitting in the freezer, ready and waiting to be enjoyed later in the year. The flowers are so very pretty aren't they, I love a bit of colour. Enjoy your weekend. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  4. Kalispera dear Daphne!I heard George!Is your husband Greek?Lovely photos!I use Picmonkey to!So clever!Νice instructions for frozen beans!
    Thanks for your visit!Wish you good night!
    Dimi..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kalimara Dimi, No George is not Greek he is from the north of England. It's a good strong name isn't it. Now I have found PicMonkey I love the way my photos have turned out, they are looking much better. Take care and enjoy your weekend. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  5. Lindas fotos, feijões e colheita!!beijos,chica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning Chica, Thank you for your kind comment about my photos. I am so pleased I have discovered PicMonkey as it has made such a difference. The beans are now in my freezer to enjoy later in the year. I will pop by and read your blogg today. Enjoy your day. Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! I love green beans.
    Hugs from Green Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Afternoon Lucinha, Thank you for your kind comments. I agree, Runner beans are a favourite of mine aswell. I shall be popping by to read your blog today. Have a lovely day. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  8. Nunca vi feijão com flore cor de laranja! linda!

    bjs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lucinha, Thank you for your kind comments. Green Beans are so tasty, glad you like them aswell. I shall visit your blog shortly. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  9. Love the beautiful flower and your green beans look yummy. They are one of my favorite veggies. Even my son loves them. YOur photos are wonderful, I will have to try PicMonkey too. Wishing you a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Eileen, Thank you for stopping by. The flower of the bean is so beautiful and once the flower has died it is replaced with lots of beans, isn't that wonderful. You really won't be disappointed with PicMonkey, it has made such a difference to my photos. Enjoy your weekend. Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...