Pages

Wednesday 8 August 2012

PLUM AND NECTARINE CRUMBLE

Good Morning to you,

Yesterday, I decided to pop into town and visit  The Grainger Market,  to see what seasonal fruit was on offer. At one fruit and vegetable stall they were selling nectarines and plums really cheaply, so I bought some and decided to make a Plum and Nectarine Crumble to share with you.





I think any sort of crumble, whether it is made with apples or other fruit can be thought of as winter food.  Yes, when it is served hot with custard, it certainly is warming, but I like mine, just warm, served with ice cream or yes that old favourite of mine mascarpone cheese, sweetened with a little icing sugar.

I know crumble is laidened with calories, but it's ok to enjoy food as long as you don't go over the top! 

Note to self: remember DO NOT have seconds!



INGREDIENTS

180g/6oz unsalted butter, cut into cubes
350g/12 oz plain flour
225g/8 oz Demerara sugar
1 kg/ 2 lbs plums and nectarines,
  stoned and cut into bite size pieces
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons of cornflour
juice of half a lemon

METHOD

Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4
Butter a large dish and place on a baking sheet


Place the chopped nectarines and plums into a large bowl. Add 4 oz demerara sugar. Before you do, check to see how tart your plums are, you might need to reduce the sugar, mine were very tart so I added the whole 4oz. Add lemon juice, cornflour and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and  mix. You can see from the photograph that the cornflour wasn't  thoroughly mixed, so I continued stirring until it was fully incorporated.


Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.



Place the sieved flour,  rest of the salt and cinnamon into a bowl and mix.
Add the diced butter and rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.

Stir in the remaining sugar.
Cover the fruit with the crumb mixture and press down lightly

Looks like someone has stuck their finger in the pie!
No it wasn't George, it's  a piece of brown sugar.
Bake for approximately 45 minutes until golden brown.

Your kitchen will smell wonderful whilst the crumble is cooking.  George was watching the Olympics whilst I was baking the crumble and kept coming into the kitchen to ask  it was ready, as the smell of the cooking was making him feel hungry. It has to be said, George didn't wait for the crumble to cool, he enjoyed a huge bowlful whilst watching the Olympics.  When I went in to see him, he had a really satisfied look on his face!

I hope you enjoy making this crumble. Remember you can reduce the ingredients to make a smaller crumble.

See you later in the week, until then take care.

Best Wishes


Daphne xxx


















6 comments:

  1. I shouldn't be looking at this before I've gotten around to having lunch; my mouth is watering, Daphne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Karen,
    I know what you mean, some things are just too tasty! Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Shannon, I'm thrilled you have found me aswell. Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I really appreciate it. I hope you enjoy making Plum Crumble.
    Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Daphne
    Greetings from Ireland.

    Lovely blog and am following you now.
    The recipes you have posted are gorgeous
    and so too are your garden flowers.

    Hope you are having sunshine
    we have rain.....

    Have a lovely September

    Fiona

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...